Book/Printed Material The sunset land; or, The great Pacific slope.
About this Item
- The sunset land; or, The great Pacific slope.
- John Todd (1800-1873), a Congregationalist clergyman in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, wrote widely and published several religious magazines. The sunset land (1870) contains Todd's experiences as a visitor to California in the mid 1860s, with essays on the state's history, climate, agricultural products, and geology; gold mining; the Calaveras redwoods; and Yosemite Valley. He devotes a chapter to Mormonism and what he believes to be its inevitable decline; another, to the triumph of the transcontinental railroad; and a third, to the city of San Francisco.
- Todd, John, 1800-1873.
Created / Published
- Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1870.
- - California--Description and travel
- - Mormon Church
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 3 p.l., 9-322 p. 18 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F866 .T6
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Todd, John. The sunset land; or, The great Pacific slope. Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1870. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000890/.
APA citation style:
Todd, J. (1870) The sunset land; or, The great Pacific slope. Boston, Lee and Shepard. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000890/.
MLA citation style:
Todd, John. The sunset land; or, The great Pacific slope. Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1870. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000890/>.