Book/Printed Material "Both sides told," or, Southern California as it is ...
About this Item
- "Both sides told," or, Southern California as it is ...
- Mary C. Vail was a resident of Southern California. "Both sides told" (1888) is a pamphlet written by Vail to provide an accurate but cautionary description of Southern California as an antidote to the unrealistic claims that had accompanied the region's real estate boom and bust of the 1880s. She warns of the sandstorms and dust in an area where drinking water must usually be piped in many miles and many crops will demand irrigation. Admitting that her home region is not a paradise, she points out that its climate remains healthful and that opportunities remain for those willing to work.
- Vail, Mary C.
Created / Published
- Pasadena, Calif., West coast pub. co., 1888.
- - California, Southern--Description and travel
- - Women--California
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- i p.l., 23 p. 16 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F867 .V2
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vail, Mary C. "Both sides told," or, Southern California as it is. Pasadena, Calif., West coast pub. co, 1888. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000912/.
APA citation style:
Vail, M. C. (1888) "Both sides told," or, Southern California as it is. Pasadena, Calif., West coast pub. co. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000912/.
MLA citation style:
Vail, Mary C. "Both sides told," or, Southern California as it is. Pasadena, Calif., West coast pub. co, 1888. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000912/>.