Book/Printed Material Our Italy,
About this Item
- Our Italy,
- Famed essayist and journalist Charles Dudley Warner (1829-1900) was the editor of the Hartford, Connecticut, Courant and a contributing editor to Harper's Magazine. Our Italy (1891) is Warner's account of a trip he made to Southern California in 1890. He describes conditions after the collapse of the 1886-1887 real estate boom and dubs the state south of the Sierra Madres "our Italy." He focuses on the region's economic future: its promise as a healthy, productive residence, agricultural developments (particularly the citrus industry), climate and industry. He devotes less attention to beauty spots and tourist attractions, but he does discuss the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Monterey.
- Warner, Charles Dudley, 1829-1900.
Created / Published
- New York, Harper & brothers, 1891.
- - California, Southern--Description and travel
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- viii, 266 p. incl. front., illus., plates. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F867 .W27
- F867 .W27 Copy 2 Copy 2.
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Warner, Charles Dudley. Our Italy. New York, Harper & brothers, 1891. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000915/.
APA citation style:
Warner, C. D. (1891) Our Italy. New York, Harper & brothers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01000915/.
MLA citation style:
Warner, Charles Dudley. Our Italy. New York, Harper & brothers, 1891. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01000915/>.