Book/Printed Material Three years in California [1851-54]
About this Item
- Three years in California [1851-54]
- Edinburgh-born artist John David Borthwick (1825-c.1900) left New York for California in 1851, crossing the Isthmus at Chagres. In 1860 Borthwick returned to Britain, where his paintings were exhibited in several galleries including the Royal Academy. Three years in California (1857) focuses on his experiences mining gold and quartz at Hangtown, Foster's Bar, Downieville, Mississippi Bar, Jacksonville, and Carson's Hill. He devotes much attention to social life in the camps as well as mining techniques, describing crime, the Chinese and French and other ethnic groups, and holidays and public entertainments. Borthwick illustrated the book with eight of his own lithographs which are considered the most realistic of the period for California.
- Borthwick, John David.
Created / Published
- Edinburgh, London : W. Blackwood and sons, 1857.
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - California--Social life and customs
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Law--Political aspects--California
- - Not by John Douglas Borthwick of Montreal, Can.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC ecr 2019-06-05 update (1 card)
- vi p., 1 l. 384 p. : front., plates. ; 22 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .B7
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Borthwick, John David. Three years in California -54. Edinburgh, London: W. Blackwood and sons, 1857. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01002730/.
APA citation style:
Borthwick, J. D. (1857) Three years in California -54. Edinburgh, London: W. Blackwood and sons. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/rc01002730/.
MLA citation style:
Borthwick, John David. Three years in California -54. Edinburgh, London: W. Blackwood and sons, 1857. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/rc01002730/>.