Manuscript/Mixed Material Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note.
About this Item
- Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note.
- Created / Published
- Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Wide-Awakes, The
- - Lincoln-portrait of
- - Clay, Cassius Marcellus (1810-1903)
- - Manuscripts
- - Ephemera
- - Portraits
- - Physical Objects
- - Realia
- - United States -- Connecticut -- Hartford -- Hartford
- Physical Objects
- - Printed on satin. "In February, 1860. Cassius M. Clay spoke in Hartford, Connecticut. A few ardent young Republicans accompanied him as a kind of body-guard, and to save their garments from the dripping of the torches, a few of them wore improvised capes of black glazed cambric. The uniforms attracted so much attention that a campaign club-formed in Hartford soon after adopted it. This club called itself the "Wide-Awakes"
- 14 x 6.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Portfolio 16, no. 12
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/.
APA citation style:
(1860) Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/.
MLA citation style:
Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/>.