Manuscript/Mixed Material Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note.
About this Item
- Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note.
Created / Published
- Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Wide-Awakes, The
- - Lincoln-portrait of
- - Clay, Cassius Marcellus (1810-1903)
- - Manuscripts
- - Ephemera
- - Portraits
- - Physical Objects
- - Realia
- - United States -- Connecticut -- Hartford -- Hartford
- Physical Objects
- - Printed on satin. "In February, 1860. Cassius M. Clay spoke in Hartford, Connecticut. A few ardent young Republicans accompanied him as a kind of body-guard, and to save their garments from the dripping of the torches, a few of them wore improvised capes of black glazed cambric. The uniforms attracted so much attention that a campaign club-formed in Hartford soon after adopted it. This club called itself the "Wide-Awakes"
- 14 x 6.5 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- Portfolio 16, no. 12
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- online text
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that many of the papers in The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse. For example, any songs published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. The Library has also obtained permission for the use of many other materials, and presents additional materials pursuant to fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States less than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You will need written permission from the rightsholders to copy, distribute, or otherwise use copyrighted materials except as allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some materials may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/.
APA citation style:
(1860) Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/.
MLA citation style:
Wide Awake Club ribbon and handwritten note. Wide Awake Club, Hartford, Connecticut?, 1860. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/scsm000563/>.