Photo, Print, Drawing [Hesler portrait of Lincoln.]
About this Item
- [Hesler portrait of Lincoln.]
- Contributor Names
- Hesler, Alexander (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- June 3, 1860
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Lincoln-portrait of
- - Hesler, Alexander (1823-1895)
- - Bartlett, Truman H. (1835-1923)
- - Photographs
- - Portraits
- - United States -- Illinois -- Sangamon -- Springfield
- - Meserve no. 26. A photograph by Hesler of Chicago, made in Springfield, Illinois on June 3, 1860. Mr. Truman H. Bartlett stated that this after Mr. Hesler's death in 1865 were bought by Mr. George B Ayres, who moved to Buffalo before fire destroyed the Hesler Gallery, and before the great Chicago Fire of 1871, and that Mr. Ayres touched up 8 x 10 negatives made from the originals, which were cabinet size. They had a very wide distribution. These 8 x 10 negatives were damaged in the mails and are now in the Smithsonian Institution. (From the Photographic Portraits of Abraham Lincoln; Abraham Lincoln; Lincoln Memorial University; the Meserve Collection, 1941.)
- 35.5 x 27.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Portfolio 6, no. 41
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hesler, Alexander. [Hesler portrait of Lincoln]. Illinois Sangamon Springfield United States, 1860. June 3. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000792/. (Accessed August 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Hesler, A. (1860) [Hesler portrait of Lincoln]. Illinois Sangamon Springfield United States, 1860. June 3. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000792/.
MLA citation style:
Hesler, Alexander. [Hesler portrait of Lincoln]. June 3. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000792/>.