Manuscript/Mixed Material Letter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln, September 31, 1862.
About this Item
- Letter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln, September 31, 1862.
- Contributor Names
- Lincoln, Mary Todd (Author)
- Created / Published
- Washington, D. C., 9/31/1862
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Lincoln, Mary Todd (1818-1882)
- - Lincoln, William Wallace (Willie) (1850-1862)
- - Sickles, Daniel E. (1819-1914)
- - Manuscripts
- - Correspondence
- - Letter
- - United States -- District of Columbia -- Washington
- - On Mary Todd Lincoln's monogrammed, black-bordered stationery, in memory of her departed son, Willie. With black-bordered envelope.
- - Written only about a week after the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, and in the midst of the increasing fear that the enemy might take Washington, this magnificent letter reveals Mrs. Lincoln as one of the most courageous and considerate of all first ladies. Unlike her later letters, with are filled with self-pity, this early letter reveals the characteristics in her which Lincoln must have loved and admired.
- envelope: 10 x 6 cm; letter: 10.5 x 14.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Portfolio 2, no. 9
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lincoln, Mary Todd. Letter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln. Washington, D. C., 9/31, 1862. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000867/.
APA citation style:
Lincoln, M. T. (1862) Letter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln. Washington, D. C., 9/31. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000867/.
MLA citation style:
Lincoln, Mary Todd. Letter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln. Washington, D. C., 9/31, 1862. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/scsm000867/>.