Manuscript/Mixed Material First emancipation proclamation, [Facsimile.]
About this Item
- First emancipation proclamation, [Facsimile.]
- Contributor Names
- Lincoln, Abraham (Author)
- Seward, William (Author)
- Created / Published
- January 4, 1864
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Emancipation Proclamation
- - fundraising
- - Smith, Gerrit (1797-1874)
- - Correspondence
- - Manuscripts
- - Broadsides
- - United States -- New York -- Albany -- Albany
- - This original and draft of the first Emancipation Proclamation as described below by the Assistant Secretary of State was presented to the Albany Army Relief Bazaar in Feb. 1864, and brought the sum of $1,000 for its funds. It became the property of Gerrit Smith, who presented it to the United States Sanitary Commission in 1865, it was purchased by vote of the Legislature of the Commission for $1,000, and ordered to be deposited in the State Library. Albany, 1865.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Emancipation broadside
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions for the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lincoln, Abraham, and William Seward. [First emancipation proclamation, Facsimile]. January 4, 1864. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000921/. (Accessed April 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Lincoln, A. & Seward, W. (1864) [First emancipation proclamation, Facsimile]. January 4. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000921/.
MLA citation style:
Lincoln, Abraham, and William Seward. [First emancipation proclamation, Facsimile]. January 4, 1864. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm000921/>.