3D Object Stephen Douglas original life mask taken in Chicago.
About this Item
- Stephen Douglas original life mask taken in Chicago.
- Contributor Names
- Volk, Leonard Wells (Sculptor)
- Created / Published
- Chicago, Illinois, 1857
- Subject Headings
- - Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- - Douglas, Stephen Arnold (1813-1861)
- - Lincoln-Douglas debates (1858)
- - Volk, Leonard Wells (1828-1895)
- - Portraits
- - Physical Objects
- - Realia
- - United States -- Illinois -- Cook -- Chicago
- - United States -- Maine -- Oxford -- Lovell
- Physical Objects
- - The life mask is housed in a dove tailed oak box with carved decorations and a brass name plate. Inscribed on the box: Box no 2; Jessie Volk Center, Lovell Maine.
- Box 34.5 wide x 21.5 high by 24 across; Mask: 22 cm long x 16 cm wide by 13.5 deep.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Catalog no. 5151
- Source Collection
- The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Rare Book And Special Collections Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- Original Format
- 3d object
- Stephen Douglass Life Mask | 360 Degree Views of Artifacts | Articles and Essays | The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana | Digital Collections
- Additional Physical Artifacts | Collection Highlights | Articles and Essays | The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana | Digital Collections
The Library of Congress believes that many of the papers in The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse. For example, any songs published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. The Library has also obtained permission for the use of many other materials, and presents additional materials pursuant to fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States less than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You will need written permission from the rightsholders to copy, distribute, or otherwise use copyrighted materials except as allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some materials may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Volk, Leonard Wells. Stephen Douglas original life mask taken in Chicago. Chicago, Illinois, 1857. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm001058/.
APA citation style:
Volk, L. W. (1857) Stephen Douglas original life mask taken in Chicago. Chicago, Illinois. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/scsm001058/.
MLA citation style:
Volk, Leonard Wells. Stephen Douglas original life mask taken in Chicago. Chicago, Illinois, 1857. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/scsm001058/>.
More 3D Objects like this
3D ObjectHickory mallet used by Leonard Wells Volk in making his busts of Lincoln and Douglas.
- Contributor: Volk, Leonard Wells
- Date: 1860
3D Object[Life mask of Abraham Lincoln.]
- Contributor: Mills, Clark
- Date: 1865-02
3D ObjectLincoln inkwell; a gift from Charles D. Proston.
- Contributor: Tiffany
- Date: 1865