Audio Recordings Rescue the perishing
About this Item
- Rescue the perishing
- Contributor Names
- Doane, W. H. (composer)
- Crosby, Fanny J. (lyr)
- Saladini, Robert (conductor)
- DeSellem, Phillip (pianist)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, 1998, monographic.
- - In the 1870s, hymn tunes tended to be far more closely wedded to a particular set of words than in earlier periods; composers no longer wrote tunes to abstract rhythmic patterns, singable to any text in that particular meter. Thus, W. H. Doane's stirring tune for "Rescue the Perishing" is wedded to Fanny J. Crosby's words.
- - The performers are the "Music for the Nation" Singers, and are all Library of Congress staff members. These selections were recorded in the Library's Coolidge Auditorium on September 23, 1998. Robert Saladini, director; Phillip DeSellem, pianist; Carol Guglielm, Elizabeth Miller (sopranos); Laura Lee Fischer, Linda Gill (altos); David Arbury, Thomas A. Howe (tenors); Ralph Gingery, John Oswald Greene (basses).
- 1 digital file. :50
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music, 1870-1885 materials, there may be content protected by copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Images identified in the corresponding catalogue record as "government" photos are not subject to copyright protection.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division
For guidance about compiling full citations, consult Citing Electronic Resources on the learning page.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Doane, W. H, Fanny J Crosby, Robert Saladini, and Phillip Desellem. Rescue the Perishing. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, , monographic, 1998. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1870.70x0018/. (Accessed July 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Doane, W. H., Crosby, F. J., Saladini, R. & Desellem, P. (1998) Rescue the Perishing. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, , monographic. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1870.70x0018/.
MLA citation style:
Doane, W. H, et al. Rescue the Perishing. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, , monographic, 1998. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1870.70x0018/>.