Audio Recordings Shivering and shaking out in the cold
About this Item
- Shivering and shaking out in the cold
- Contributor Names
- Lucas, Sam (composer)
- Saladini, Robert (conductor)
- Arbury, David (tenor_soloist)
- DeSellem, Phillip (pianist)
- Created / Published
- Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, 1998, monographic.
- - Sam Lucas , unlike his fellow African American, James Bland, wrote an occasional song with no racial reference. The cover of "Shivering and Shaking Out in the Cold" shows Lucas in the role portrayed by the song, and the song was sung in the pioneering African American drama Out of Bondage, but the song itself contains neither dialect nor racial references. In the 1880s Lucas would be joined by Gussie L. Davis as an African-American writer of popular songs that were not racially specific; by the turn of the century such songs would be fairly common (Chris Smith would write "The Irish Were Egyptians Long Ago"), but Sam Lucas was the pioneer.
- - The performers are the "Music for the Nation" Singers, and are all Library of Congress staff members. These selections were recorded in the Library's Coolidge Auditorium on September 23, 1998. Robert Saladini, director; Phillip DeSellem, pianist; Carol Guglielm, Elizabeth Miller (sopranos); Laura Lee Fischer, Linda Gill (altos); David Arbury, Thomas A. Howe (tenors); Ralph Gingery, John Oswald Greene (basses).
- 1 digital file. 1:30
- Online Format
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music, 1870-1885 materials, there may be content protected by copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Images identified in the corresponding catalogue record as "government" photos are not subject to copyright protection.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division
For guidance about compiling full citations, consult Citing Electronic Resources on the learning page.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lucas, Sam, Robert Saladini, David Arbury, and Phillip Desellem. Shivering and Shaking Out in the Cold. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, monographic, 1998. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1878.7805279/. (Accessed September 01, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Lucas, S., Saladini, R., Arbury, D. & Desellem, P. (1998) Shivering and Shaking Out in the Cold. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, monographic. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1878.7805279/.
MLA citation style:
Lucas, Sam, et al. Shivering and Shaking Out in the Cold. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C, monographic, 1998. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/sm1878.7805279/>.