Top of page

Newspaper The Cecil Whig (Elkton, Md.) 1841-Current

View All Front Pages

About The Cecil Whig (Elkton, Md.) 1841-Current

Palmer Chamberlain Ricketts founded the Cecil Whig in 1841 when local Whig party supporters in Elkton, Maryland, decided to launch a newspaper in the aftermath of William Henry Harrison’s presidential victory. Published weekly under the founding editor, the Whig attacked its partisan foes with a stridency that ultimately led to physical violence. Ricketts was indicted in 1843 for killing the editor of the rival Cecil Democrat, Amor T. Forwood, after the two had published an increasingly heated and personal series of editorials. Ricketts continued to edit the Whig from his jail cell, and eventually was acquitted after a jury decided he had acted in self-defense.

The Whigs collapsed as a national party in the 1850s, and the Cecil Whig assumed the standard of the Know-Nothing or American Party. The Know-Nothings were anti-Catholic and opposed immigration, but many party adherents also supported the abolition of slavery. Maryland’s Eastern Shore was a center of Know-Nothing support, which resulted in the election of Thomas Holliday Hicks as governor in 1856. The new Republican Party absorbed many Know-Nothing voters, and the Whig became a very strong pro-Union voice under the ownership of Edwin E. Ewing, who replaced Ricketts after the latter’s death in 1860. Ewing sold the Whig in 1876 and moved west to Kansas where he was associated with the Kansas Farmer of Topeka. In 1882, he relocated again to North Carolina where he started the Blue Ridge Enterprise in Highlands, before returning in 1885 to Cecil County, as publisher of the Midland Journal in Rising Sun, Maryland.

After local attorney and Republican politician Henry R. Torbert took control of the Whig in 1876, the paper focused increasingly on local and regional concerns. The Whig often discussed the railroad lines, which provided excellent transportation links to both Baltimore and Philadelphia. A key beneficiary was Cecil County’s paper industry. The Marley Paper Mill in Elkton owned by George W. Child supplied paper to another of Torbert’s properties, the Philadelphia Public Ledger. In 1888, C.S. Garrett & Sons acquired the mill and embarked on a major expansion in order to compete with other local companies, including the Kenmore and Radnor Mills operated by the Jessup & Moore Paper Company of Philadelphia. In 1894, Henry’s son, Victor M. Torbert joined the masthead as co-editor and publisher, taking a keen interest in local affairs. The Whig noted Victor Torbert’s participation in the incorporation of the Newark, Elkton, and Eastern Shore Electric Railway Company in 1902, as interurban rail lines inaugurated another convenient mode of transportation for Cecil County residents. In 1906, the Torberts sold the Cecil Whig to Frank E. Williams, who was succeeded as editor in turn by co-editors Edward Johnson and Robert T. Thachery in 1921. E. Ralph Hostetter acquired the newspaper in 1947 under the Chesapeake Publishing Corporation, a regional conglomerate that controlled 16 Maryland and Delaware newspapers. The Cecil Whig operates in 2016 under the ownership of the Adams Publishing Group.

Provided By: University of Maryland, College Park, MD

About this Newspaper

Title

  • The Cecil Whig (Elkton, Md.) 1841-Current

Dates of Publication

  • 1841-current

Created / Published

  • Elkton, Md. : P.C. Ricketts

Headings

  • -  Cecil County (Md.)--Newspapers
  • -  Elkton (Md.)--Newspapers
  • -  Maryland--Politics and government--Newspapers
  • -  Politics and government
  • -  Maryland
  • -  Maryland--Cecil County
  • -  Maryland--Elkton
  • -  United States--Maryland--Cecil--Elkton

Genre

  • Newspapers

Notes

  • -  Daily (Mon.-Fri.), Aug. 7, 1989-
  • -  Vol. 1, no. 1 (Aug. 7, 1841)-
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • -  Latest issue consulted: Vol. 149, no. 18 (Aug. 30, 1989).

Medium

  • volumes

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper
  • AN41.321.E4 C43

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn83016348

OCLC Number

  • 9728296

ISSN Number

  • 1046-2058

Preceding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats

Availability

Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

The Cecil Whig Elkton, Md. -Current. (Elkton, MD), Jan. 1 1841. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83016348/.

APA citation style:

(1841, January 1) The Cecil Whig Elkton, Md. -Current. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83016348/.

MLA citation style:

The Cecil Whig Elkton, Md. -Current. (Elkton, MD) 1 Jan. 1841. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn83016348/.