Top of page

Newspaper Missionary Record (Charleston, S.C.) 1868-1879 Record

View All Front Pages

About Missionary Record (Charleston, S.C.) 1868-1879

The weekly Charleston Missionary Record (1868-79?), an African American-owned Republican newspaper “devoted to the interest of free labor and general reform,” established itself as a widely read and long-lasting news source in a time of scarce capital and increased hostility towards blacks in South Carolina. In 1869, the Missionary Record claimed a circulation of 2,000, with subscribers spread across Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. The Missionary Record tended to emphasize state and national news, especially on the topics of education and suffrage rights, over local coverage, but it also carried advertisements and notices of Charleston-based black businesses and fraternal societies.

The Missionary Record began in 1865 as the South Carolina Leader. In the inaugural issue, dated October 7, 1865, proprietors Timothy Hurley and Allen Coffin declared, “Our mission is to improve the whole people, by advocating equal rights to all … we are for the Union and the Constitution, and shall defend the flag against its enemies wherever found.” They chose for its motto a paraphrase from Mark 4:28: “First the blade, then the ear, after that, the full corn in the ear.” The paper was available at stores owned by Thomas Whitmarsh Cardozo, the son of a prominent family of African and Sephardic Jewish ancestry. In 1867, Richard Harvey Cain and Alonzo Jacob Ransier came into possession of the South Carolina Leader. They changed the name to the Missionary Record shortly thereafter.

Richard Cain and Alonzo Ransier had notable careers beyond their involvement with the Missionary Record. A native of Virginia, Cain served as South Carolina State Senator (1868-70), United States Representative from South Carolina (1873-75 and 1877-79), and as a delegate to the South Carolina Constitutional Convention in 1868. In 1880, he was appointed bishop to the First Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, which encompassed the conferences of Bermuda, Delaware, New England, New Jersey, New York, and Philadelphia. A native of Charleston, Alonzo Ransier served as a South Carolina state representative (1868-69), lieutenant governor (1870), delegate to the Republican National Convention (1872), and United States representative (1873-75).

In 1876, the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church took over publishing duties for the Missionary Record. Richard Cain continued his duties as editor. The publishers explained the newspaper’s change of direction: “The need of a medium of communication, among the ministers of that denomination … demands the establishment and continuance of a paper that shall speak their sentiments and disseminate such truths as shall enlighten the masses.” The American Newspaper Directory, published by George Presbury Rowell and Company, includes listings for the Missionary Record as late as 1879, but very few issues have ultimately survived. Almost nothing is known as to when and why the paper ceased publication. The last known issue is dated April 1, 1876.

Provided By: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC

About this Newspaper

Title

  • Missionary Record (Charleston, S.C.) 1868-1879

Other Title

  • Record

Dates of Publication

  • 1868-1879

Created / Published

  • Charleston, S.C. : R.H. Cain

Headings

  • -  African Americans--South Carolina--Charleston--Newspapers
  • -  Charleston (S.C.)--Newspapers
  • -  African Americans
  • -  South Carolina--Charleston
  • -  United States--South Carolina--Charleston--Charleston

Genre

  • Newspapers

Notes

  • -  Weekly
  • -  Began in 1868; ceased in 1879? Cf. South Carolina newspapers.
  • -  Microfilmed by the Library of Congress for the Committee on Negro Studies of the American Council of Learned Societies.
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • -  Description based on: Vol. 6, no. 8 (July 5, 1873); title from masthead.

Medium

  • volumes

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn83025781

OCLC Number

  • 9797551

ISSN Number

  • 2165-9419

Preceding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats

Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

Missionary Record Charleston, S.C. 1868 to 1879. (Charleston, SC), Jan. 1 1868. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83025781/.

APA citation style:

(1868, January 1) Missionary Record Charleston, S.C. 1868 to 1879. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83025781/.

MLA citation style:

Missionary Record Charleston, S.C. 1868 to 1879. (Charleston, SC) 1 Jan. 1868. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn83025781/.