Top of page

Newspaper Der Nordstern (St. Cloud, Minn.) 1874-1931

View All Front Pages

About Der Nordstern (St. Cloud, Minn.) 1874-1931

As German immigrants flooded into Minnesota, Peter Brick and Peter E. Kaiser published the first two issues of their German-language newspaper, the St. Cloud Der Nordstern (“The North Star”), in 1874. These issues were freely distributed among St. Cloud’s large German immigrant population, and interest in the paper grew. Der Nordstern quickly boasted a circulation of 800 in a city with a population of about 2,000. St. Cloud’s location near the center of the state allowed Der Nordstern to expand its audience, eventually claiming the largest circulation of any newspaper north of Minneapolis. The first extant issue is dated February 17, 1876, and features a modest four-page, six-column layout dedicated primarily to local and state news, with an emphasis on German culture. Its concentration on local developments was unusual for German-language newspapers of the time, which often focused on news from Germany. Der Nordstern was published every Thursday and soon expanded to eight pages with six to ten columns. Peter Brick, in pursuit of a career as a probate judge, transferred his interests to his brother Leo. Publishing duties changed numerous times during the next decade. Peter Kaiser, William L. Rosenberger, Joseph L. Meyer, and John Rentz all filled the role of publisher at various times. On November 10, 1887, Gerhard May, who is most closely associated with the voice and development of Der Nordstern, was first credited as editor, although historians and May himself traced his involvement back to 1884. May served as editor until the paper was discontinued in 1931. His upbeat, conversational tone and profound knowledge of German culture earned May the universal respect of his readers and helped to increase the weekly circulation of the paper to approximately 8,000 subscribers. Reflecting the new demand, Der Nordstern began publishing 12-page issues on September 22, 1898.

Throughout his tenure, May continually worked to meet the needs of his readers and to increase Der Nordsterns subscription list. By the early 1900s, local news content expanded to include several additional communities across Stearns County, including Freeport, Melrose, and Greenwald;  correspondence from across the greater Midwest was published; and general agricultural items became commonplace. Leading up to World War I, Der Nordsterns coverage of national and international developments increased. Beginning on October 19, 1922, an additional four-page, English-language section was added to bridge the language gap between generations and to increase interest in German culture among American-born readers.

In September of 1929, Der Nordstern was sold to the Times Publishing Company, which also owned the consolidated Saint Cloud Daily Times and the Daily Journal-Press, and Fred Schilplin was named publisher. Gerhard May continued as editor, but the paper no longer bore many of his trademarks. By this time, Der Nordstern had expanded to a 24-page, four-column format that was devoted primarily to local news. On August 27, 1931, the final issue was published and May retired. A notice on the front page heralds Der Nordsterns 57-year history and manifests its sense of accomplishment as one of the longest surviving German-language newspapers in Minnesota.

Provided By: Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN

About this Newspaper


  • Der Nordstern (St. Cloud, Minn.) 1874-1931

Dates of Publication

  • 1874-1931

Created / Published

  • St. Cloud, Minn. : Brick & Kaiser


  • -  Germans--Minnesota--Newspapers
  • -  German Americans--Minnesota--Saint Cloud--Newspapers
  • -  Saint Cloud (Minn.)--Newspapers
  • -  Stearns County (Minn.)--Newspapers
  • -  German Americans
  • -  Germans
  • -  Minnesota
  • -  Minnesota--Saint Cloud
  • -  Minnesota--Stearns County
  • -  United States--Minnesota--Stearns--Saint Cloud


  • Newspapers


  • -  Weekly
  • -  Began in 1874.
  • -  -57. Jahrg., Nr. 44 (27. Aug. 1931).
  • -  Available on microfilm from the Minnesota Historical Society.
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • -  In German.
  • -  Description based on: 2. Jahrg., Nr. 42. (17. Feb. 1876).


  • volumes

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn83045350

OCLC Number

  • 9447682

ISSN Number

  • 2372-2991

Additional Metadata Formats


Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

Der Nordstern St. Cloud, Minn. -1931. (Saint Cloud, MN), Jan. 1 1874.

APA citation style:

(1874, January 1) Der Nordstern St. Cloud, Minn. -1931. Retrieved from the Library of Congress,

MLA citation style:

Der Nordstern St. Cloud, Minn. -1931. (Saint Cloud, MN) 1 Jan. 1874. Retrieved from the Library of Congress,