Newspaper Dziennik Chicagoski (Chicago [Ill.]) 1890-1971 Chicago daily news (Polish) / Polish daily news / Chicago daily news Polish
About Dziennik Chicagoski (Chicago [Ill.]) 1890-1971
Published from1890 to 1971, Dziennik Chicagoski (“Chicago Daily News”) was an independent newspaper, dedicated to producing content that upheld ethnic solidarity and the Catholic faith in Chicago’s Polish community. Established by Rev. Wincenty Barzyński of the Congregation of Resurrection in Chicago, a Catholic order founded by Poles in exile in Paris after the November Rising (1830-31), Dziennik Chicagoski circulated news-centric content that was generally conservative, condemning labor strikes and class conflict. In 1895, Dziennik Chicagoski took the unusual stance of supporting a steel mill strike, claiming that exploitation of workers with wages as low as 50 cents per day justified an unusual response. By 1913, the newspaper had a circulation of 15,837. Throughout its publishing history, it was the second oldest Polish daily newspaper in the United States and the most widely read of the Chicago Polish-language dailies. Dziennik Chicagoki published literary works, including Polish fiction and foreign fiction translated into Polish. After 1939, it included a section in English.Provided By: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library, Urbana, IL
About this Newspaper
- Dziennik Chicagoski (Chicago [Ill.]) 1890-1971
- Chicago daily news (Polish)
- Polish daily news
- Chicago daily news Polish
Dates of Publication
Created / Published
- Chicago [Ill.] : Społka Nakład. Wydawn. Polsk., 1890-1971.
- - Polish people--Illinois--Newspapers
- - Polish Americans--Illinois--Newspapers
- - Chicago (Ill.)--Newspapers
- - Polacy--Stany Zjednoczone--Chicago--czasopisma
- - Polish Americans
- - Polish people
- - Illinois
- - Illinois--Chicago
- - United States--Illinois--Cook--Chicago
- - Daily (except Saturday, Sunday and holidays), July 11, 1966-
- - Rok. 1, no. 1 (15 grudz., 1890)-
- - Ceased in 1971.
- - Publisher: Polish Pub. Co., Feb. 26, 1895-
- - Issues for 80th yr., no. 225 (Nov. 12, 1970)-80th yr., no. 258 (Dec. 31, 1970) erroneously designated as 80th yr., no. 232-265.
- - "Pismo polityczne póswięcone interesom Polaków w Stanach Zjednoczonych Ameryki Północnej."
- - Available on microfilm; Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, The Center for Research Libraries, and University of Chicago.
- - Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- - In Polish and English.
- - Latest issue consulted: Apr. 29, 1971.
- v. : ill. ; 61 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
State/Province (Geographic Coverage)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.
For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dziennik Chicagoski Chicago Ill. -1971. (Chicago, IL), Jan. 1 1890. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83045747/.
APA citation style:
(1890, January 1) Dziennik Chicagoski Chicago Ill. -1971. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn83045747/.
MLA citation style:
Dziennik Chicagoski Chicago Ill. -1971. (Chicago, IL) 1 Jan. 1890. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn83045747/.