Top of page

Newspaper The Union (St. George, Utah) 1882-1898 Union & village echo / Union and village echo / St. George union / Saint George union

View All Front Pages

About The Union (St. George, Utah) 1882-1898

In the late 19th century, the town of St. George witnessed the rise and fall of many newspapers that served the region known as “Utah’s Dixie.” Among them, the Union proved relatively durable. Published sporadically, it was able to survive for just over 20 years.

St. George’s first settlers arrived in November 1861, a group of 300 families called to serve in the Mormon Church’s “Cotton Mission.” Brigham Young, leader of the Mormon Church, hoped to develop a cotton industry in the red-rock desert landscape about 300 miles south of Salt Lake City. Life in the town proved difficult. Spring floods ravaged farmland and summer heat wilted crops. Still, by 1871 the city’s population topped 1,100.

The arrival of a telegraph line in 1867 breathed life into St. George’s newspaper industry. In January 1868, Our Dixie Times was launched, proclaiming “a new era…to establish a printing press [in] settlements so new and destitute of means.” Within two months, the newspaper’s foreman deserted, and printing duties fell to the editor’s two sons, ages 11 and 15, and his 14-year-old daughter. The newspaper changed its name in May 1868, to The Rio Virgin Times, sometimes printed as Rio Virgen Times. Difficulties persisted, however, as the editor explained in September 1868: “We are publishing at present without any prospect of receiving one half of our current expenses.” The paper folded two months later.

Other newspapers came and went, including the Cactus, which was launched in 1868, and the St. George Enterprise, which debuted in 1871 and died three years later.

When the Union appeared in 1878, it enjoyed a brief stint as St. George’s only newspaper and attracted subscribers by reprinting the sermons of Mormon founder Joseph Smith. Still, editor and owner J. W. Carpenter struggled to publish regularly, and it took four years to release the first 24-issue volume of the “semi-monthly.” As Carpenter wrote in the November 12, 1880, issue: “We must have food and clothes, and the publishing business is not lucrative enough…especially when about half of our subscribers do not pay.”

In late 1896, the motto on the Union’s masthead changed, from: “United we stand, divided we fall,” to, “From the little acorn grows the mighty oak.” Unfortunately for Carpenter, newspaper revenues refused to follow the acorn’s example. On May 19, 1898, he published the final edition of the Union, and announced his intention to try his hand at farming.

Provided By: University of Utah, Marriott Library

About this Newspaper

Title

  • The Union (St. George, Utah) 1882-1898

Other Title

  • Union & village echo
  • Union and village echo
  • St. George union
  • Saint George union

Dates of Publication

  • 1882-1898

Created / Published

  • St. George, Utah : J.W. Carpenter, 1882-1898.

Headings

  • -  Saint George (Utah)--Newspapers
  • -  Washington County (Utah)--Newspapers
  • -  Utah--Saint George
  • -  Utah--Washington County
  • -  United States--Utah--Washington--Saint George
  • -  United States--Utah--Washington--Bloomington

Genre

  • Newspapers

Notes

  • -  Weekly
  • -  Vol. 2, no. 1 (Dec. 12, 1882)-v. 2, no. 9 (June 1884); C.P. vol. 7, no. 10 (Aug. 2, 1884)-v. 11, no. 2 (May 19, 1898).
  • -  Issues for Jan.-May 1883 have title: Union & village echo.
  • -  Issues for May 12 and May 19, 1898 have title: St. George union.
  • -  Published in St. George, Dec. 1882-Jan. 1883, 1884-1885, <1897-1898>; in Bloomington, Mar. 1883-July 1883, 1886-1887.
  • -  Frequency varies; during <1885-1887>, it is called a monthly, but only one issue a year was published.
  • -  None published 1888-1896. Cf. Alter, J.C. Early Utah journalism.
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.

Medium

  • 10 volumes : illustrations ; 28-31 cm

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper
  • AN2.U8 U54

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn85058012

OCLC Number

  • 11694406

ISSN Number

  • 2163-4718

Preceding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats

Availability

Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

The Union St. George, Utah -1898. (Saint George, UT), Jan. 1 1882. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn85058012/.

APA citation style:

(1882, January 1) The Union St. George, Utah -1898. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn85058012/.

MLA citation style:

The Union St. George, Utah -1898. (Saint George, UT) 1 Jan. 1882. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn85058012/.