Top of page

Newspaper The Corpus Christi Caller (Corpus Christi, Tex.) 1918-1987 Corpus Christi caller times

View All Front Pages

About The Corpus Christi Caller (Corpus Christi, Tex.) 1918-1987

Eli Merriman, Ed Williams, and William P. Caruthers, with the help of wealthy ranchers Richard King and Mifflin Kennedy, consolidated the Corpus Christi Free Press and Semi-Weekly Ledger creating the Caller Publishing Company and publishing the first Corpus Christi Caller on January 20, 1883. A morning publication, the Caller ran daily between 1891 and 1896, and then weekly after 1905. In 1911, it became a daily paper again, changing its name to the Corpus Christi Caller and Daily Herald. Once again, in 1918, it became known as the Corpus Christi Caller. Yearly subscription rates rose from two dollars in 1883 to six dollars in 1919. Within a year of its creation, the Caller claimed the “largest circulation of any weekly newspaper published in Southwest Texas,” with 1,132 subscribers. Although the paper was not associated with any political party, city politics were a major focus and it routinely supported Democratic candidates.

The Caller’s column, “Field and Pasture,” promoted farming and ranching and publicized civic improvements. From the outset, editors called for a railway between Corpus Christi and San Antonio, completed in 1886. Roy Miller, editor from 1907 to 1910, reinforced the paper’s civic and coastal boosterism; then as mayor in 1913, he wrote articles promoting a deepwater port (finished in 1926).

The devastating hurricane of September 19, 1919, caused over 400 deaths and destroyed much of Corpus Christi’s business district. With its offices damaged, the Caller did not publish on September 20, 1919, but was back in print the following day. A 54-page “Come Back” edition for Thanksgiving 1919 highlighted the city’s renewal.

The paper supported candidates associated with King Ranch and offered vocal criticism of other candidates, calling one opposing party, on November 4, 1914, “nondescripts . . . who band together for no other purpose than to make scramble for a few county offices.” Robert Kleberg and associates of the ranch provided financial support to the Caller into the 1920s. Henrietta King, Richard King’s widow, purchased the paper in 1920 to rescue it from debt accrued following the 1919 storm. Walter Pope, a political opponent of Kleberg and Miller, purchased the Corpus Christi Times, the rival paper to the Caller.

After 1920, investors reorganized the paper into the New Caller Publishing Company. Houston Harte and Bernard Hanks, both experienced in the Texas newspaper business, purchased the Corpus Christi Times in 1928 and the Caller a year later. On November 13, 1929, they reorganized the company into the Caller-Times Publishing Co. Both papers were published daily, in the morning as the Caller and in the evening as the Times, and together on Sunday as the Caller-Times. This arrangement lasted until 1987, when the paper became the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. In 1997, the Scripps-Howard Group assumed control and continues to publish the paper.

Provided By: University of North Texas; Denton, TX

About this Newspaper

Title

  • The Corpus Christi Caller (Corpus Christi, Tex.) 1918-1987

Other Title

  • Corpus Christi caller times

Dates of Publication

  • 1918-1987

Created / Published

  • Corpus Christi, Tex. : Caller Pub. Co.

Headings

  • -  Corpus Christi (Tex.)--Newspapers
  • -  Texas--Corpus Christi
  • -  United States--Texas--Nueces--Corpus Christi

Genre

  • Newspapers

Notes

  • -  Daily
  • -  Began 1918.
  • -  -v. 105, no. 151 (May 31, 1987).
  • -  On Saturday and Sunday published as: Corpus Christi caller-times.
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • -  Description based on: Vol. 20, no. 190 (July 8, 1918).
  • -  Corpus Christi times (Corpus Christi, Tex. : 1911) 0747-4474 (DLC)sn 84006195 (OCoLC)10863206
  • -  Corpus Christi caller-times 0894-5365 (DLC)sn 87002897 (OCoLC)15805360

Medium

  • volumes

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn86071134

OCLC Number

  • 13188235

ISSN Number

  • 0889-812x

Preceding Titles

Succeeding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats

Availability

Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

The Corpus Christi Caller Corpus Christi, Tex. -1987. (Corpus Christi, TX), Jan. 1 1918. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn86071134/.

APA citation style:

(1918, January 1) The Corpus Christi Caller Corpus Christi, Tex. -1987. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn86071134/.

MLA citation style:

The Corpus Christi Caller Corpus Christi, Tex. -1987. (Corpus Christi, TX) 1 Jan. 1918. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn86071134/.