Top of page

Newspaper The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser (Upper Marlborough, Md.) 1882-1925

View All Front Pages

About The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser (Upper Marlborough, Md.) 1882-1925

The Prince George’s Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser was established as a weekly newspaper in 1882 by Joseph K. Roberts and Frederick Sasscer, Jr., two politically well-connected lawyers from the seat of Prince George’s County in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. The Enquirer replaced the Prince Georgian and Southern Maryland Advertiser, a paper established by Michael J. Slayman during the Civil War after federal authorities suppressed the pro-Confederate Planter’s Advocate. Roberts died in 1888 and Sasscer continued to edit the Enquirer, eventually becoming the owner. He ran it as a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party. Samuel A. Wyvill, who had joined the paper as an apprentice in 1903, became part owner in 1909. The Enquirer was published until January 30, 1925, when Sasscer and Wyvill bought the Marlboro Gazette from Mary E. Wilson and Charles I. Wilson and named the merged paper the Enquirer-Gazette.

Despite proximity to the nation’s capital, newspapers in Prince George’s County recorded the resilience of its conservative inhabitants and their traditions. Tobacco had been the staple crop for hundreds of years, and tobacco prices remained a key market indicator in the local economy. Socially, the Enquirer noted the gatherings of old antebellum families at deliberately anachronistic chivalric tournaments featuring tilting on horseback. By the turn of the 20th century, outsiders began to acquire some of the grand old plantations. Most notably, New York’s William Woodward bought the Bel Air estate and established a breeding and training operation that produced many champion thoroughbred race horses. The Enquirer closely followed meets at county racetracks in Upper Marlboro, Bowie, and Laurel, which contributed to the reputation of Maryland as a center for equine sports.

The advent of the automobile lessened the isolation of Prince George’s County. The state government began work in 1922 on a modern road, Crain Highway, which connected Baltimore to the Potomac River via Upper Marlboro. The University of Maryland was established in 1920, merging professional schools in Baltimore with the Maryland State College (formerly the Maryland Agricultural College) in College Park. New towns and communities began emerging along transportation routes and on the fringes of the District of Columbia. Progress was slow for the county’s large African American population, but the opening of the Bowie Normal School in 1911 marked the beginnings of an institution that later became Bowie State University.

Provided By: University of Maryland, College Park, MD

About this Newspaper

Title

  • The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser (Upper Marlborough, Md.) 1882-1925

Dates of Publication

  • 1882-1925

Created / Published

  • Upper Marlborough, Md. : Joseph K. Roberts, Fred. Sasscer

Headings

  • -  Prince George's County (Md.)--Newspapers
  • -  Maryland, Southern--Newspapers
  • -  Maryland--Prince George's County
  • -  Southern Maryland
  • -  United States--Maryland--Prince George's--Upper Marlboro

Genre

  • Newspapers

Notes

  • -  Weekly
  • -  Began in 1882.
  • -  -v. 38, no. 3 (Jan. 30, 1925).
  • -  Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • -  Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 27 (June 20, 1884).
  • -  Marlboro' gazette, and Prince George's advertiser (DLC)sn 83016370 (OCoLC)9789608
  • -  Enquirer-gazette (Upper Marlboro, Md.) (DLC)sn 89061528 (OCoLC)20058651

Medium

  • v.

Call Number/Physical Location

  • Newspaper
  • AN41.681.U6 E49

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn89060124

OCLC Number

  • 20367539

ISSN Number

  • 2475-4323

Preceding Titles

Succeeding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats

Availability

Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser Upper Marlborough, Md. -1925. (Upper Marlboro, MD), Jan. 1 1882. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn89060124/.

APA citation style:

(1882, January 1) The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser Upper Marlborough, Md. -1925. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn89060124/.

MLA citation style:

The Prince George's Enquirer and Southern Maryland Advertiser Upper Marlborough, Md. -1925. (Upper Marlboro, MD) 1 Jan. 1882. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn89060124/.