Top of page

Newspaper The Sub (Groton, Conn.) 193?-1946

View All Front Pages

About The Sub (Groton, Conn.) 193?-1946

The Sub (Groton, CT), a bi-weekly labor newspaper billed as “an organ of American Federation of Labor Workers,” was “published by the Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers Union of Groton, Inc.” in Groton, CT, from sometime in the 1930s to 1946. The April 14, 1948, issue of its successor, Eastern Connecticut News, reported that it was the “10th Anniversary edition,” putting the actual start date most likely in 1938.

The Sub had five different editors listed from 1943 to 1946. Roy Perry was listed as managing editor in the first known issue on March 11, 1943, through the November 11, 1943, issue. Starting with the November 25, 1943, issue, department column editor James Cunningham took on the managing editor role and continued through the July 20, 1944, issue. There were two special issues: August 3, 1944 and August 17, 1944, put out by a committee of Peter F. O’Malley, Jack McGee, Roland Bishop, and George Richards. The following issue, dated August 31, 1944, showed Jack McGee as acting editor-in-chief. He then took on the role of editor-in-chief from September 14, 1944, through the April 28, 1945, issue. From the May 5, 1945, issue through the May 26, 1945, issue, Jack McGee and James Cunningham were listed as editors and publishers. Starting with the July 19, 1945, issue Roland Bishop took on the role of Editor through the change in title to the Eastern Connecticut News in 1946.

The Sub was a pro-American Federation of Labor (AFL) newspaper. It included articles on successes of labor at both the local and national levels, including articles related to the National Labor Relations Act. Large national labor strikes affecting wartime efforts were featured, and special issues focused on the problem of absenteeism. The October 4, 1945, Special Contract Edition posted the AFL contract with Electric Boat (EB), including section explanations.

The paper featured some military news. The July 12, 1945, issue had headlines stating, “GI’s not for Peacetime Draft” and “Front-line Soldiers Disagree with ‘Brass Hats.'” In a September 23, 1943, issue a column called “Our men and women in service,” posted letters to families back home from overseas. The August 31, 1944, issue started including on its masthead: “A Labor Paper devoted to the working men and women building submarines for victory circulation over 11,000.”

This paper also provided insight into the daily social and cultural lives of the members of this military community, specifically EB workers and their families. EB was founded in 1899, around the time that the first submarine in the U.S. Navy was commissioned. During the 1940s and World War II, EB produced submarines and PT boats.

Some columns featured local sports and business news from EB as well as society news. Women workers at EB also were featured in this newspaper for their work, as well as the latest fashion trends in work attire.

EBCO News split from the Sub from September 8, 1944 until it was re-absorbed by the title on May 5, 1945.The Sub‘s title changed to Eastern Connecticut News on July 18, 1946. It was published by Sub Pub Co in Groton, Connecticut. The Eastern Connecticut News was billed as “the official organ of the Metal Trades Council of New London County and the New London Central Labor Union.”

Provided By: Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT

About this Newspaper


  • The Sub (Groton, Conn.) 193?-1946


  • Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers Union of Groton, Inc

Dates of Publication

  • 193?-1946

Created / Published

  • Groton, Conn. : Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers Union of Groton, Inc.


  • -  Labor unions--Connecticut--Newspapers
  • -  Groton (Conn.)--Newspapers
  • -  New London (Conn.)--Newspapers
  • -  Labor unions
  • -  Connecticut
  • -  Connecticut--Groton
  • -  Connecticut--New London
  • -  United States--Connecticut--New London--Groton


  • Newspapers


  • -  Biweekly, Nov. 8, 1945-1946
  • -  "An organ of American Federation of Labor Workers."
  • -  Also issued on microfilm from Connecticut State Library, Hartford, CT.
  • -  Continued in part by: EBCO news, Sept. 8, 1944. Reabsorbed this title, May 5, 1945.
  • -  Description based on: 5th year, no. 14 (Mar. 11, 1943).
  • -  EBCO news (DLC)sn 93066886
  • -  Eastern Connecticut news (DLC)sn 92051356


  • v.

Library of Congress Control Number

  • sn92051355

OCLC Number

  • 26296188

ISSN Number

  • 2995-8881

Succeeding Titles

Additional Metadata Formats


Rights & Access

The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.

The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see

For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

The Sub Groton, Conn. 193?. (Groton, CT), 193?.

APA citation style:

(193?) The Sub Groton, Conn. 193?. Retrieved from the Library of Congress,

MLA citation style:

The Sub Groton, Conn. 193?. (Groton, CT) 193?. Retrieved from the Library of Congress,