Newspaper The Florida star (Titusville, Fla.), January 1, 1909 Star
About this Newspaper
- The Florida star (Titusville, Fla.), January 1, 1909
- The Florida Star [LCCN: sn96027111], a weekly, began publishing from Titusville, Florida, in 1880 and ceased sometime around 1917. From November 1, 1912, the Florida Star published from Cocoa, Florida. The newspaper continued the Indian River Star (Titusville, FL) [LCCN: not known to exist]. It is reported to have been continued by Indian River Star [LCCN: sn95047424], which began publishing from Cocoa in 1912 and ceased in 1914. In 1920, the Indian River Star ceased publication as well and was succeeded by the Cocoa (FL) News and Star [LCCN: not known to exist]. The Florida Star was published by P.E. Wagner from 1880 to approximately 1882. At some point later, it was published and edited by S.W. Harmon. Little is known about Wagner and Harmon. The newspaper covered the southern extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad into Brevard County (FL). Titusville (FL), in Brevard County (FL), was settled on the banks of the Indian River in 1867 by a former Confederate officer, Henry Theodore Titus, and his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus. The town was incorporated in 1887, by which time the area was already famous for its citrus and pineapple crops. The arrival of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1892 made tourism viable. The Florida Star is a chronicle of changes brought by tourism, the collapse of pineapple-based agriculture, and agricultural issues in general. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- University of Florida
Place of Publication
- Titusville, Fla.
Dates of Publication
Created / Published
- Titusville, Fla., January 1, 1909
- - Titusville (Fla.)--Newspapers
- - Cocoa (Fla.)--Newspapers
- - Brevard County (Fla.)--Newspapers
- - Florida--Brevard County
- - Florida--Cocoa
- - Florida--Titusville
- - United States--Florida--Brevard--Cocoa
- - United States--Florida--Brevard--Titusville
- - Weekly
- - Began in 1880; ceased in 1917?
- - Publisher: P.E. Wager, 1880-<1882>.
- - Published at: Cocoa, Fla., Nov. 1, 1912-.
- - Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- - Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 23 (Sept. 29, 1880).
- - Latest issue consulted: Vol. 35, no. 5 (June 5, 1914).
- - Indian River star (Cocoa, Fla.) (DLC)sn 95047424 (OCoLC)33963798
- 8 pages
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
State/Province (Geographic Coverage)
- Brevard County
- Brevard County (Fla.)
- Cocoa (Fla.)
- Titusville (Fla.)
- United States
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress believes that the newspapers in Chronicling America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions. Newspapers published in the United States more than 95 years ago are in the public domain in their entirety. Any newspapers in Chronicling America that were published less than 95 years ago are also believed to be in the public domain, but may contain some copyrighted third party materials. Researchers using newspapers published less than 95 years ago should be alert for modern content (for example, registered and renewed for copyright and published with notice) that may be copyrighted. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The NEH awardee responsible for producing each digital object is presented in the Chronicling America page display, below the page image – e.g. Image produced by the Library of Congress. For more information on current NDNP awardees, see https://www.loc.gov/ndnp/listawardees.html.
For more information on Library of Congress policies and disclaimers regarding rights and reproductions, see https://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Florida star. (Cocoa, FL), Jan. 1 1909. https://www.loc.gov/item/sn96027111/1909-01-01/ed-1/.
APA citation style:
(1909, January 1) The Florida star. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/sn96027111/1909-01-01/ed-1/.
MLA citation style:
The Florida star. (Cocoa, FL) 1 Jan. 1909. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/sn96027111/1909-01-01/ed-1/.