Film, Video How Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature
About this Item
- How Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature
- Ignacio Sanchez Prado interviews Kislak Chair Louise Burkhart on her career studying the ways in which Indigenous Mexicans experienced, engaged with, and manipulated the Christian texts and teachings introduced under Spanish colonial rule. Burkhart works primarily with materials in the Nahuatl (Aztec) language. Her largest body of work deals with Nahuatl religious theater, a rich and diverse genre including morality plays, Passion plays, stagings of saints' legends and other biblical stories, and adaptations of Spanish Baroque dramas. Burkhart has also explored the collision between Roman Catholic and Indigenous moral systems, and the development of Nahua devotion to the Virgin Mary.
- Event Date
- October 21, 2021
- Running Time
- 29 minutes 53 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
How Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature. 2021. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-10082/.
APA citation style:
(2021) How Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-10082/.
MLA citation style:
How Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature. 2021. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-10082/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPolitics of Culture, Culture of Politics: Europe in the 21st Century Kluge Center Director John Haskell interviewed Ivan Krastev on the connection between culture and politics in the European Union. The event was co-hosted by the European Delegation and the Embassy of Bulgaria...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Krastev, Ivan
- Date: 2019-05-09
Film, VideoCandice Millard on James Garfield New York Times bestselling author Candice Millard discusses her book, "Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine & the Murder of a President" about the of the presidency and extraordinary...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Millard, Candice
- Date: 2019-09-18
Film, VideoDanielle Allen Takes on the Hard Questions on Democracy and Public Life John Haskell and new Kluge Prize recipient Danielle Allen discuss some of the difficult questions in public life today.
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Allen, Danielle
- Date: 2020-07-02
Film, VideoU.S. Fiscal Policy in the Wake of COVID-19 John W. Kluge Center Director John Haskell talks with economist Jason J. Fichtner on fiscal policy in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fichtner and Haskell will consider the tools available to...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Fichtner, Jason
- Date: 2020-07-23
Film, VideoAndrea Campbell on the Safety Net in a Time of Crisis Kluge Center Director John Haskell interviewed Massachusetts Institute of Technology political scientist and recent Kluge Chair in American Law and Governance Andrea Campbell on what we've learned about the safety net and...
- Contributor: Campbell, Andrea - Haskell, John
- Date: 2020-08-13