Film, Video The Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America
About this Item
- The Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America
- Fernando Henrique Cardoso, a sociologist, politician and president of Brazil from 1994 to 2002, delivered the fourth annual Kissinger Lecture on Foreign Policy and International Relations.
- Event Date
- February 22, 2005
- - Fernando Henrique Cardoso, sociologist, politician and president of Brazil from 1994 to 2002, was born in Rio de Janeiro. He received his doctorate from the University of Sao Paulo, where he began his career as a sociology professor and opponent of Brazil's military dictators. He lived in exile from 1964 to 1968. Upon his return to Brazil, the government suspended his civil rights, and he was banned from teaching. Cardoso was later elected to the Senate representing the state of Sao Paulo and became one of the founders of Brazil's centrist Social Democratic Party. Known as an inflation-fighting supporter of free market reforms, Cardoso became economy minister of Brazil in 1993. His scholarly writings include the classic "Dependency and Development in Latin America," a work that established his reputation as a world-class sociologist. He has been visiting professor at various academic centers in Europe and the United States, including the Collège de France, the University of Paris, the University of Cambridge, the University of California at Berkeley and Stanford University. In 2003-2004, Cardoso was a Distinguished Visiting Scholar in the Kluge Center. He is currently professor at large at Brown University's Thomas J. Watson Jr. Institute for International Studies.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 20 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America. 2005. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3356/.
APA citation style:
(2005) The Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3356/.
MLA citation style:
The Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America. 2005. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3356/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Video2012 Kluge Prize Ceremony: Fernando Henrique Cardoso Librarian of Congress James H. Billington awarded the 2012 John W. Kluge Prize for lifetime achievement in the study of humanity to Fernando Henrique Cardoso. The award was presented at a ceremony...
- Contributor: Cardoso, Fernando Henrique
- Date: 2012-07-10
Film, VideoScholarfest: Evening Gala More than 70 scholars descend on Capitol Hill for a lively mixture of rapid-fire dialogues, panels and scholarly conversations to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the John W. Kluge Center. The opening...
- Contributor: Cardoso, Fernando Henrique - Thapar, Romila - McAuliffe, Jane
- Date: 2015-06-10
Film, VideoChristine Lagarde, International Monetary Fund Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), delivered the Kissinger Lecture in Foreign Policy and International Relations. Lagarde spoke about the changing landscape of the international system and the...
- Contributor: Lagarde, Christine - Brennan, Margaret
- Date: 2018-12-04
Film, VideoKissinger Lecture: Felipe Calderón President of Mexico Felipe Calderón, guest speaker at the sixth Henry Alfred Kissinger Lecture, focused on global challenges, such as global health, education, international trade, the fight against climate change and organized...
- Contributor: Calderón, Felipe
- Date: 2012-04-23
Film, VideoThe Preparation of the European Constitution Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, president of the Convention on the Future of Europe, delivered the 2002 Kissinger Lecture.
- Contributor: Giscard D'estaing, Valéry
- Date: 2003-02-11