Film, Video The Preparation of the European Constitution
About this Item
- The Preparation of the European Constitution
- Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, president of the Convention on the Future of Europe, delivered the 2002 Kissinger Lecture.
- Event Date
- February 11, 2003
- - Born on Feb. 2, 1926, Valery Giscard d'Estaing served as a young man in the French Resistance during World War II; at the age of 18 he enlisted in the French Army. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre for his participation in campaigns through the end of World War II. After completing his studies at the Ecole Polytechnique and the Ecole Nationale d'Administration, d'Estaing joined the Inspection Générale des Finances in 1952. In 1956 he was elected as a deputy to the French National Assembly from Puy-de-Dôme; he was reelected four times and served until 1974. He served as minister of finance and economic affairs under President Charles de Gaulle from 1962 to 1966, and as minister of economy and finance under President Georges Pompidou from 1969 to 1974. d'Estaing was elected president of France on May 19, 1974. During his term of office, until 1981, he played a key role in several crucial international initiatives, including the establishment of the European Council, the election by universal suffrage of the European Parliament, the creation of the European monetary system (a project presented jointly by France and Germany in 1978) and the inauguration of world summits of chiefs of state and heads of governments of the principal industrialized democracies. The first summit was held at Rambouillet, France, in 1975. After he left the presidency, d'Estaing was again elected to the National Assembly from Puy-de-Dôme and served from 1984-1989; he was reelected in 1993 and 1997. Elected as a deputy to the European Parliament in 1989, d'Estaing served in that capacity until 1993. In October 1997, he was elected president of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions and reelected in 2001. In December 2001, the European Council appointed him president of the Convention on the Future of Europe. He is also the author of several books, including "Démocratie français," "Deux Français sur trois," "Le pouvoir et la vie," "L'Affrontement," "Dans cinq ans, l'an 2000" and "Réflexions sur le destin d'un peuple."
- Running Time
- 1 hours 4 minutes 44 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Preparation of the European Constitution. 2003. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3357/.
APA citation style:
(2003) The Preparation of the European Constitution. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3357/.
MLA citation style:
The Preparation of the European Constitution. 2003. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3357/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Depth of the Challenge: Why Force Alone Will Not Defeat Islamist Extremism Tony Blair delivered the 7th Kissinger Lecture at the Library in the John W. Kluge Center. Blair spoke on the strategies to defeat Islamist extremism. The address was followed by a moderated...
- Contributor: Indyk, Martin S. - Blair, Tony
- Date: 2015-12-03
Film, VideoChristine Lagarde, International Monetary Fund Christine Lagarde, managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), delivered the Kissinger Lecture in Foreign Policy and International Relations. Lagarde spoke about the changing landscape of the international system and the...
- Contributor: Lagarde, Christine - Brennan, Margaret
- Date: 2018-12-04
Film, VideoThe Need for Global Democratic Governance: The Perspective from Latin America Fernando Henrique Cardoso, a sociologist, politician and president of Brazil from 1994 to 2002, delivered the fourth annual Kissinger Lecture on Foreign Policy and International Relations.
- Contributor: Cardoso, Fernando Henrique
- Date: 2005-02-22
Film, VideoA Changed World Third Annual Kissinger Lecture: Shultz was secretary of state under President Ronald Reagan for eight years. He is currently a Thomas W. and Susan B. Ford Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution,...
- Contributor: Shultz, George
- Date: 2004-02-11
Film, VideoKissinger Lecture: Felipe Calderón President of Mexico Felipe Calderón, guest speaker at the sixth Henry Alfred Kissinger Lecture, focused on global challenges, such as global health, education, international trade, the fight against climate change and organized...
- Contributor: Calderón, Felipe
- Date: 2012-04-23