Film, Video Reflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World
About this Item
- Reflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World
- Discussion of Armenia in context of current affairs: Vardanants Day event.
- Event Date
- April 22, 2002
- - Mohammed Arkoun, a French academician of Algerian origin, is Emeritus Professor of the History of Islamic Thought at the Sorbonne and visiting professor at universities in the United States, Europe and the Muslim world. He is associated with several European initiatives to rethink and reshape the relationship between Europe, Islam and the Mediterranean world, and is the author of numerous publications, including L?Humanisme arabe au IVe/Xe siecle," Pour une critique de la raison islamique," "Arab Thought" and "Rethinking Islam: Common Questions - Uncommon Answers." Arkoun served as a member of the Award Steering Committee from 1983 to 1992 and as a member of the 1995 Award Master Jury. He was decorated as an Officer of the French Legion of Honour in July 1996.
- - Bernard Lewis received his bachelor's degree in history and Ph.D in the history of Islam from the University of London. My B.A. degree was in History with special reference to the Near and Middle East; my Ph.D. in the History of Islam. He received his first teaching appointment in 1938, as an assistant lecturer in Islamic history at the School of Oriental and African Studies. He retired in 1986, after teaching at the University of London and Princeton.
- - Levon Avdoyan is an Armenian and Georgian Area Specialist and wrote "Armenia 2001-2003, Area Studies."
- - Michael Lemmon was U.S. Ambassador the Republic of Armenia from 1998-2001. He is dean of the School of Language Studies at the Foreign Service Institute.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 17 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Reflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World. 2002. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3384/.
APA citation style:
(2002) Reflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3384/.
MLA citation style:
Reflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World. 2002. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3384/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoTwelfth Annual Vardanants Day Armenian Lecture Edward Alexander, retired Foreign Service officer and author, delivered the Twelfth Annual Vardanants Day Armenian Lecture, "Diplomacy and the Armenian Factor." Alexander's diplomatic career began soon after the end of World War...
- Contributor: Alexander, Edward - Avdoyan, Levon
- Date: 2005-04-28
Film, VideoArmenian Literary Identity Kevork Bardakjian presented "Scribes, Compositors and the Mind in the Making: the Armenian Script and the Creation of an Armenian Literary Identity." Levon Avdoyan discussed "The Continuity and Change of an Armenian...
- Contributor: Bardakjian, Kevork - Avdoyan, Levon
- Date: 2012-04-19
Film, VideoReflections on Armenia's Place in the Region and in the World
Reflections on Armenia Discussion of Armenia in context of current affairs: Vardanants Day event.
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. Office of Scholarly Programs - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division
- Date: 2002
Film, VideoThe History of the Acts of St. John the Evangelist An exquisitely illuminated manuscript of the Life of St. John the Evangelist was bequeathed to the Library as part of the papers of the stage and film director Rouben Mamoulian. Levon Avdoyan...
- Contributor: Avdoyan, Levon
- Date: 2015-04-08
Film, VideoThe Growth of a Squiggly Letter Language Collection: Armenian at the Library of Congress Levon Avdoyan discusses the establishment and growth of the Library's Armenian language collections.
- Contributor: Avdoyan, Levon
- Date: 2012-08-29