Film, Video Timbuktu Manuscipts and the Efforts to Maintain the Desert
About this Item
- Timbuktu Manuscipts and the Efforts to Maintain the Desert
- The curator of the Mamma Haidara Memorial Library in Timbuktu, Mali, presented a lecture related to and illustrative of the exhibit "Ancient Manuscripts from the Desert Libraries of Timbuktu." Though known to African communities for generations, the recognition of these texts by Western academics has created a breakthrough in recent scholarship. Once believed to be based solely on oral tradition, African culture also has been passed down through a rich literary tradition as evidenced by the existence of these manuscripts.
- Event Date
- September 03, 2003
- - Abdel Kader Haidara is curator of the Mamma Haidara Memorial Library in Timbuktu, Mali.
- Running Time
- 1 hours 43 minutes 16 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Timbuktu Manuscipts and the Efforts to Maintain the Desert. 2003. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3399/.
APA citation style:
(2003) Timbuktu Manuscipts and the Efforts to Maintain the Desert. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3399/.
MLA citation style:
Timbuktu Manuscipts and the Efforts to Maintain the Desert. 2003. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3399/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoGrowing Up Gullah Dorothy Browner-Hubler discusses growing up Gullah in South Carolina and Maryland.
- Contributor: Browner-Hubler, Dorothy
- Date: 2012-02-28
Film, VideoJews on Trial: The Papal Inquisition in Modena, 1598-1638 Katherine Aron-Beller will be speaking about her book on the Modena inquisition of 1598-1638.
- Contributor: Aron-Beller, Katherine
- Date: 2012-03-21
Film, VideoThe State of Art in Ethiopia Renowned artist Afewerk Tekle presented a lecture on the state of art in his native Ethiopia.
- Contributor: Tekle, Afewerk
- Date: 2009-07-27
Film, VideoA Concert of Ladino Music: Flory Jagoda In celebration of Women's History Month, the Library presented a concert of Ladino music with Flory Jagoda in performance with Tiffani Ferrantelli and Zhenya Tochenaya.
- Contributor: Jagoda, Flory
- Date: 2012-03-27
Film, VideoWomen from the Nigerien Sahel Antoinette Tidjani Alou discussed "The Secret Faces of Women from the Nigerien Sahel: Agency, Influence and Contemporary Challenges."
- Contributor: Tidjani Alou, Antoinette
- Date: 2012-05-24