Film, Video There Are No Fears
About this Item
- There Are No Fears
- Yevgeny Yevtushenko recited his poetry in both English and Russian in a program titled" There Are No Fears". Yevtushenko is a poet, novelist, film maker and professor of literature and cinema.
- Event Date
- April 29, 2004
- - Yevgeny Yevtushenko is a poet, novelist, film maker and professor of literature and cinema. He was born in Siberia, where his ancestors were sent into exile at the end of the 19th century. A spokesman for greater artistic freedom in the Soviet Union, Yevtushenko was once referred to as "the head of the intellectual juvenile delinquents" and was expelled from school for disobedience in 1948 and in 1957 from the Literary Institute for "individualism." His 1961 poem "Babi Yar," a denunciation of both Nazi and Russian anti-Semitism, brought him international recognition and inspired Russian composer Dimitri Shostakovich to write his Symphony No. 13 (Babi Yar). The poem was not published in Russia until 1984. Yevtushenko is an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters and was awarded the American Liberties Medallion of the American Jewish Committee in 1991. He divides his time between Russia and the United States, where he teaches poetry at Queens College, N.Y., and the University of Tulsa.
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 49 minutes, 5 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
There Are No Fears. 2004. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3418/.
APA citation style:
(2004) There Are No Fears. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3418/.
MLA citation style:
There Are No Fears. 2004. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3418/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoYevgeny Yevtushenko: 2006 National Book Festival
- Contributor: Yevtushenko, Yevgeny
- Date: 2006-09-30
Film, Video2014 International Writing Program Spotlight
- Contributor: Merrill, Christopher
- Date: 2014-11-06
Film, VideoThe Life of a Poet: August Kleinzahler
- Contributor: Kleinzahler, August - Charles, Ron
- Date: 2014-11-04
Film, VideoLiterary Birthday Celebration: Zora Neale Hurston
- Contributor: Perkins-Valdez, Dolen - Golden, Marita
- Date: 2015-01-07
Film, VideoLife of a Poet: Frank Bidart
- Contributor: Charles, Ron - Bidart, Frank
- Date: 2015-02-19