Film, Video Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement
About this Item
- Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement
- Lamin Sanneh, holder of the Chair of Countries and Cultures of the South at the John W. Kluge Center at the Library of Congress and D. Willis James Professor of Missions & World Christianity and professor of history at Yale University, discussed "Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement" on Thursday, April 7, 2005 at the Library of Congress. In the current debate occurring within the Muslim world, there are differences of opinion about the role and identity of Islamic states as well as their future direction. According to Sanneh, Islamic fundamentalists blame national secular states for fragmenting contemporary Muslim global identity, which is leading to the West's worldwide domination. Also, moderates, among them many of the leading jurists in Islam, have adopted a middle course by distinguishing "sacred truth" from "secular agency."
- Event Date
- April 07, 2005
- - In addition to his position as Chair of Countries and Cultures at the Kluge Center, Lamin Sanneh is professor of history and D. Willis James Professor of World Christianity at Yale University. He has written a number of books related to religion in Africa, including "Whose Religion Is Christianity?: The Gospel Beyond the West" and "The Crown and the Turban: Muslims and West African Pluralism."
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: https://www.loc.gov/kluge
- Running Time
- 47 minutes 35 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement. 2005. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3687/.
APA citation style:
(2005) Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3687/.
MLA citation style:
Sacred Truth and Secular Agency: Shari'ah Norms and Political Enforcement. 2005. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3687/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoScholarfest S6: Freedom of Expression & Why it Matters
- Contributor: Sanneh, Lamin - Louis, William Roger - Xiang, Lanxin - Wilson, William Julius - Soroush, Abdolkarim - Schaffer, Teresita
- Date: 2015-06-11
Film, VideoScholarfest S3: Life/Present: Personal & Cultural Identity in a Multicultural World
- Contributor: Sanneh, Lamin - Tichi, Celcelia - Arpaci, Annette Seidel - Lahikainen, Amanda - Shelemay, Kay Kaufman - Ohnuki-Tierney, Emiko - Falola, Toyin - Crego, Paul - Granberg-Michaelson, Wesley - Chonghaile, Deirdre Ni - Meyer, Manuella - Slaymaker, Douglas - Amquist, Alden - Lynch, Kathleen
- Date: 2015-06-11
Film, VideoCaesarism in Democratic Politics: Reflections on Max Weber
- Contributor: Casper, Gerhard
- Date: 2007-03-22
Film, VideoSusan Hirsch Discusses Her Book on Terrorism and Grief
- Contributor: Hirsch, Susan
- Date: 2006-11-29
Film, VideoChina Rediscovers its Own History
- Contributor: Ying-Shih, Yu
- Date: 2007-04-24