Film, Video Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream
About this Item
- Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream
- Barbara Ehrenreich discussed her 2005 book "Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream," which chronicles the often futile efforts of laid-off middle-class professionals to become re-employed in corporate America. The event was sponsored by the Science, Technology & Business Division.
- Event Date
- December 07, 2005
- - Barbara Ehrenreich, noted journalist, author and social activist, holds a Ph.D in biology from Rockefeller University. She has written extensively on issues of healthcare, class, families, sex and gender politics in numerous publications, most notably in Time, The New York Times, Atlantic Monthly, Nation, New Republic, Harper's, Mother Jones and Z Magazine. Other titles by Ehrenreich include "Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class" (1989), "The American Health Empire: Power, Profits and Politics" (1970), "For Her Own Good: One Hundred Fifty Years of the Experts' Advice to Women" (1978) and the best-selling book "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" (2001), for which she went undercover to reveal the day-to-day struggles of the working poor.
- Related Resources
- Science Reference Services at the Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/
- Running Time
- 42 minutes, 48 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bait and Switch: The Futile Pursuit of the American Dream. 2005. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3833/.
APA citation style:
(2005) Bait and Switch: The Futile Pursuit of the American Dream. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3833/.
MLA citation style:
Bait and Switch: The Futile Pursuit of the American Dream. 2005. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3833/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA Tale of Two Gardens
- Contributor: Duke, James A.
- Date: 2001-06-11
Film, VideoAnimal Emotions
- Contributor: Fox, Michael
- Date: 2003-11-03
- Contributor: Higginbotham, Eve J.
- Date: 2003-05-27
Film, VideoThe Great Unraveling
- Contributor: Krugman, Paul
- Date: 2004-07-21
Film, VideoThe National Zoo
- Contributor: Spelman, Lucy
- Date: 2003-04-03