Film, Video My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives
About this Item
- My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives
- Library of Congress manuscript historian Gerard Gawalt discussed his new book "My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives," in a program sponsored by the Center for the Book. Published by the Library of Congress in association with Black Dog & Leventhal, this compelling anthology draws upon the Library's vast collections of presidential papers to open a unique window into the special husband-wife relationships of our first families. Through 184 letters, telegrams and cables, "My Dear President" offers an intimate look into the private lives of American presidents and their wives--from George and Martha Washington to Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton--during courtship and marriage, in times of joy and times of sorrow, in wartime and in peace.
- Event Date
- March 30, 2006
- - Gerard Gawalt is a historian and curator of presidential papers in the Library's Manuscript Division. His books include "The Declaration of Independence: The Evolution of the Text" (1999), "Thomas Jefferson: Genius of Liberty" (2000) and "First Daughters: Letters Between U.S. Presidents and Their Daughters" (2004).
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.loc.gov/cfbook
- Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/rr/mss/
- Running Time
- 57 minutes, 18 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3851/.
APA citation style:
(2006) My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3851/.
MLA citation style:
My Dear President: Letters Between Presidents and Their Wives. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3851/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFirst Daughters: Letters Between U.S. Presidents and Their Daughters
- Contributor: Gawalt, Gerard
- Date: 2004-10-27
Film, VideoJefferson's Letter to Meriwether Lewis
- Contributor: Gawalt, Gerard
- Date: 2004-10-13
Film, VideoJackie's Nine: Jackie Robinson's Values to Live By
- Contributor: Robinson, Sharon
- Date: 2001-11-06
Film, VideoSodom Laurel Album Explores North Carolina Mountain Community
- Contributor: Amberg, Rob
- Date: 2003-04-21
Film, VideoPatience and Fortitude: A Roving Chronicle of Book People, Book Places and Book Culture
- Contributor: Basbanes, Nicholas
- Date: 2001-11-08