Film, Video Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader
About this Item
- Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader
- Thomas J. Dodd discussed his book "Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader" in a program sponsored by the Library's Hispanic Division and Center for the Book. Dodd discussed the rule of Tiburcio Carias, Honduras' longest-serving head of government, who ruled from 1933 to 1949 and was a major political figure in the country's history. The former ambassador analyzed the consolidation and modernization of Honduras under Carias. The book has been widely praised by historians. In the foreword, historian Douglas Brinkley said Dodd achieves a balanced assessment of domestic order and political and social stability during the Carias era.
- Event Date
- March 24, 2006
- - Thomas Dodd is adjunct professor in the School of Foreign Service of Georgetown University. He previously taught at the Escuela de Estudios Superiores in Mexico, Georgetown's Department of History and American University's School of International Service. He is the author of "Managing Democracy in Central America: A Case Study, U.S. Election Supervision in Nicaragua, 1927-1933" and "The Panama Crisis, 1909-1904; Letters of Thomas Herran." He served as U.S. Ambassador to Costa Rica in 2001-2005 and to Uruguay from 1997-2001.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.loc.gov/cfbook
- Hispanic Reading Room: http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/
- Running Time
- 38 minutes, 40 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3858/.
APA citation style:
(2006) Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3858/.
MLA citation style:
Tiburcio Carias: Portrait of a Honduran Political Leader. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3858/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Video2013 Américas Award
- Contributor: Manzano, Sonia
- Date: 2013-09-23
Film, Video2011 Americas Awards for Children's & Young Adult Literature
- Date: 2011-09-17
Film, VideoIn Celebration of El Día de los Niños/El Día de los Libros
- Contributor: Medina, Meg
- Date: 2014-04-30
Film, VideoBurnt Sugar Cana Quemada
- Contributor: Hijuelos, Oscar - Carlson, Lori Marie
- Date: 2006-09-20
Film, Video2006 Americas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
- Contributor: Qualls, Sean - Tadgell, Nicole - Engle, Margarita - Elvgren, Jennifer
- Date: 2007-10-06