Film, Video Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness
About this Item
- Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness
- Theodore R. Malloch and Scott T. Massey discussed their book, "Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness" in a program sponsored by the Center for the Book. The foreword to the book is by Librarian of Congress James H. Billington, who participated in a panel discussion about the volume following the presentation. The other panel members were Michael Novak, a writer and scholar, and Herb London, the president of the Hudson Institute, a nonprofit public policy research organization. How are the dynamics of globalization, smart technologies and the growth of knowledge affecting the core values of American culture and the humanities? "Renewing American Culture" (M&M Scrivener Press, 2006) examines the issues and sets forth the conditions needed for the pursuit of happiness in the 21st century.
- Event Date
- May 25, 2006
- - Scott T. Massey is president and CEO of the Indiana Humanities Council and founding president of Global Strategies, Inc. is a community strategist, educational leader, author, and innovator. Prior to joining the council, Massey worked with Leonard Bernstein and The Bernstein Education through the Arts Fund to create and found The Leonard Bernstein Center. In 2004, he served as national chairman for the Aspen Summit on Rethinking the Public Humanities.
- - Theodore Roosevelt Malloch is chairman and CEO of The Roosevelt Group, which conceptualizes and executes some of today's most dynamic intellectual projects. Deemed a "global sherpa" by Lady Margaret Thatcher, Malloch was president of the World Economic Development Congress sponsored by CNN and has served on the executive board of the World Economic Forum, which hosts the renowned Davos meeting in Switzerland. He was senior fellow and vice president for all executive programs of The Aspen Institute. He has held an ambassadorial-level position in the United Nations; he headed consulting at Wharton-Chase Econometrics; worked in capital markets at the investment bank, Salomon Brothers, Inc.; and served in senior policy positions in the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and in the U.S. State Department.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: https://www.loc.gov/cfbook
- Running Time
- 1 hours 4 minutes 37 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3884/.
APA citation style:
(2006) Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3884/.
MLA citation style:
Renewing American Culture: The Pursuit of Happiness. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3884/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoBooks & Beyond: Mystery Writer Dana Stabenow Best-selling mystery writer Dana Stabenow discussed her book, "Blindfold Game: A Thriller." While researching "Blindfold Game," she spent 16 days patrolling the Pacific Ocean on board the U.S. Coast Guard cutter Alex...
- Contributor: Stabenow, Dana
- Date: 2006-01-10
Film, VideoThe Explorer King: Adventure, Science and the Great Diamond Hoax--Clarence King in the Old West Robert Wilson discussed his new biography, "The Explorer King: Adventure, Science, and the Great Diamond Hoax--Clarence King in the Old West," in a program sponsored by the Center for the Book. "The...
- Contributor: Wilson, Robert
- Date: 2006-02-08
Film, VideoEvery Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World Popular journalist and book world chronicler Nicholas Basbanes discussed his new book, "Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World," which highlights interviews with a wide...
- Contributor: Basbanes, Nicholas
- Date: 2006-01-31
Film, VideoMission Italy: On the Front Line of the Cold War Richard N. Gardner discussed his book "Mission Italy: On the Front Line of the Cold War," another in the Books & Beyond series sponsored by Center for the Book. Gardner's memoir of...
- Contributor: Gardner, Richard
- Date: 2006-02-14
Film, VideoIndian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency During the 19th century, conflict between Native Americans and American settlers was at an all-time high. Western expansion was more than just cowboys and gun fights at the O.K. Corral--it was a...
- Contributor: Blake, Michael
- Date: 2007-06-25