Film, Video In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case
About this Item
- In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case
- Louis Fisher, special assistant to the Law Librarian and a specialist in constitutional law, discussed his new book, "In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case." Fisher was introduced by Steven Aftergood, the senior research analyst at the Federation of American Scientists and editor of the e-mail newsletter "Secrecy News." Both Fisher and Aftergood participated in a question-and-answer session following the presentation. Published by the University Press of Kansas, "In the Name of National Security" draws on the collections of the Library of Congress and other institutions to show how the 1953 U.S. Supreme Court decision in United States vs. Reynolds established a new precedent that allowed the executive branch to assert an all-encompassing "state secret privilege" as the basis for withholding information from public scrutiny. Fisher recounted and reassessed the Reynolds story and its lasting effect on our society. He also explained how the case affected subsequent battles over executive-held information both within the courts and between Congress and the president. The opinions expressed by Mr. Fisher in his presentation on his book, "In the Name of National Security," are not necessarily those of the Library of Congress.
- Event Date
- September 11, 2006
- - Louis Fisher is the author of more than a dozen books, including "Military Tribunals and Presidential Power: American Revolution and the War on Terrorism" (2005), which in 2006 won the Neustadt Book Award for the best reference book on the American presidency. Fisher, with Leonard W. Levy, edited the four-volume Encyclopedia of the American Presidency (1994). He received his doctorate in political science from the New School for Social Research in 1967.
- Related Resources
- Law Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/law/public/law.html
- Running Time
- 56 minutes 13 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3933/.
APA citation style:
(2006) In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3933/.
MLA citation style:
In the Name of National Security: Unchecked Presidential Power and the Reynolds Case. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3933/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFree Press in a Time of Terrorism
- Contributor: Le Coz, Clothilde - Fisher, Louis - Dalglish, Lucy A.
- Date: 2009-12-10
Film, Video2016 Library of Congress Literacy Awards Promotion
- Contributor: Narrator
- Date: 2016-08-17
Film, VideoTelling America's Stories by Bridging Deaf Cultures at Your Library
- Contributor: Painter, Travis - Arey, Wesley - Lang, Harry G. - Lopez, Ricardo - Hagemeyer, Alice - Beckman, Noah - Uhlberg, Myron - Levinson, Chaim
- Date: 2016-04-05
Film, VideoNew Perspectives on Health & Literacy
- Contributor: Baicker, Karen - Harris, Robie - Edwards, Michael - Hassink, Sandra - Bloome, Anthony - Dixon, Judy - Carter, Jeff - Erikson, Michele - Azzi-Huck, Kaliope - Needlman, Robert ... Baicker, Karen - Harris, Robie - Edwards, Michael - Hassink, Sandra - Bloome, Anthony - Dixon, Judy - Carter, Jeff - Erikson, Michele - Azzi-Huck, Kaliope - Needlman, Robert - Harris, Linda M. - Leege, Rebecca Chandler - Carter, Lindsay - Connors, Dana - Bailey, David J. - Doggett, Libby - Rush, Steven - Robinson, Dominic - Bailet, Laura - Logan, Robert - Fishman, Nancy
- Date: 2016-03-17
Film, VideoDo the Write Thing: The National Campaign to Stop Violence
- Contributor: Callister, Dan - Esquith, David - Jackson, Pamela
- Date: 2016-07-25