Film, Video Poetry Readings from Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field
About this Item
- Poetry Readings from Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field
- The Library of Congress 2006 Literary Season continues with poetry readings from poets Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field.
- Event Date
- October 26, 2006
- - Jack Gilbert's book "Refusing Heaven" (Knopf, 2005) won the National Book Critics Circle Award for poetry last year, and his chapbook, "Tough Heaven: Poems of Pittsburgh," was published in limited edition this year by Pond Road Press. Soon after Gilbert's first book, "Views of Jeopardy" (Yale University Press, 1962) was published, he received a Guggenheim fellowship and moved overseas to live in England, Denmark and Greece. He toured 15 other countries as a lecturer on American literature for the U.S. State Department. His second book, "Monolithos," was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize of 1983. The title is Greek for "single stone," a reference to the terrain on the island of Santorini, where he had lived. He is also the author of "The Great Fires: Poems 1982-1992."
- - Miranda Field was born and reared in London. Her poems have won the "Discovery"/The Nation Award and a Pushcart Prize. Her debut book "Swallow" won a 2001 Bakeless Prize in poetry. According to the book's publisher, Houghton Mifflin, "'Swallow' swoops and darts, tangling the lines we draw between the wild and the cultivated." Field was a teaching fellow at the 2002 Bread Loaf Writers' Conference and lives in New York City with her husband, poet Tom Thompson, and children.
- Related Resources
- Poetry Resources at the Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 12 minutes, 50 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poetry Readings from Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3940/.
APA citation style:
(2006) Poetry Readings from Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3940/.
MLA citation style:
Poetry Readings from Jack Gilbert and Miranda Field. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3940/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, Video450 Years of Spanish Poetry in the United States
- Contributor: Mayor Marsan, Maricel - Ayala, Naomi - Ambroggio, Luis Alberto - Villanueva, Tino
- Date: 2006-09-22
Film, VideoPoetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair
- Contributor: Kumin, Maxine - McNair, Wesley
- Date: 2006-11-09
Film, VideoPoetry Readings: Cole, Rector, Harris
- Contributor: Cole, Henri - Harris, Judith - Rector, Liam
- Date: 2006-12-07
Film, VideoThe Complete Poetry of Cesar Vallejo
- Contributor: Eshleman, Clayton
- Date: 2007-01-26
Film, VideoContemporary Russian Poetry Bilingual Reading
- Contributor: Fanailova, Elena - Bunimovich, Evgeny - Gugolev, Yuli
- Date: 2008-04-07