Film, Video Poetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair
About this Item
- Poetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair
- The Library of Congress 2006 Literary Season continued with poetry readings from poets Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair, two New England poets, who through the magic of poems, style takes the listener on a joyful ride through non-urban America.
- Event Date
- November 09, 2006
- - Wesley McNair is the author of several volumes of poetry, including "The Ghosts of You and Me" (Godine, 2006). He recently received his second Rockefeller fellowship and has held grants from the Fulbright and Guggenheim foundations, a National Endowment for the Humanities fellowship in literature, and two fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. Other honors include the Devins Award for Poetry, the Jane Kenyon Award, the Robert Frost Award, the Theodore Roethke Prize, the Eunice Tietjens Prize from Poetry Magazine, an Emmy Award and two honorary degrees for literary distinction. He has twice served on the nominating jury for the Pulitzer Prize for poetry. His work has appeared in the Pushcart Prize annual; two editions of The Best American Poetry; over 50 anthologies; and more than a dozen books, including poetry, essays and anthologies.
- - Maxine Kumin served as 1982-84 Consultant in Poetry, now titled Poet Laureate, to the Library of Congress. This year she won the Poetry Society of America Frost Medal for "Final Poem" in her 15th collection of poetry, "Jack and Other New Poems" (W.W. Norton, 2005). Last year she won the Harvard Arts Medal. Her poetry themes include family relationships, rural life in New England and the inner life of women. She won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 for "Up Country: Poems of New England" (Harper & Row, 1972). Kumin has taught at many universities, including Princeton, Columbia and Brandeis, and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She is now distinguished poet in residence at the Master in Fine Arts Poetry Program at New England College. She and her husband live with their dogs on a horse farm in New Hampshire.
- Related Resources
- Poetry Resources at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 14 minutes 47 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3941/.
APA citation style:
(2006) Poetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3941/.
MLA citation style:
Poetry Readings from Maxine Kumin and Wesley McNair. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-3941/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA Celebration of American Poets Laureate Some of the most distinguished voices in American poetry--seven former U.S. Poets Laureate/Consultants in Poetry--reunited in the historic Coolidge Auditorium of the Library of Congress for a night of poetry. The event...
- Contributor: Hoffman, Daniel - Kumin, Maxine - Simic, Charles - Strand, Mark - Dove, Rita - Collins, Billy - Ryan, Kay
- Date: 2010-10-06
Film, VideoWesley McNair: 2011 National Book Festival Wesley McNair appears at the 2011 National Book Festival.
- Contributor: McNair, Wesley
- Date: 2011-09-25
Film, VideoKarl Ove Knausgaard Reads from "My Struggle: Book One" Norwegian novelist Karl Ove Knausgaard reads selections from his novel 'My Struggle: Book One' and discusses the state of contemporary Norwegian literature.
- Contributor: Knausgaard, Karl Ove
- Date: 2012-05-02
Film, VideoHungarian Literature: László Krasznahorkai Hungarian novelist László Krasznahorkai reads from his recently translated novel, "Sátántangó," and discusses the state of contemporary Hungarian literature.
- Contributor: Krasznahorkai, László
- Date: 2012-06-13
Film, VideoPoetry and the Stars Elizabeth Arnold reads from her own work as well as favorite poems with astronomical themes, followed by a moderated discussion.
- Contributor: Arnold, Elizabeth
- Date: 2012-05-09