Film, Video Vaclav Havel: Dissidents and Freedom
About this Item
- Vaclav Havel: Dissidents and Freedom
- Vaclav Havel conducts a forum on "Dissidents and Freedom," featuring eight dissidents and activists from around the world in a program sponsored by the John W. Kluge Center. The event included a short speech from each of the featured guests followed by a question-and-answer session. Havel also received awards from both the National Endowment for Democracy and the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs.
- Event Date
- February 20, 2007
- - Vaclav Havel, former president of the Czech Republic, is a playwright and human rights advocate. He currently holds the Chair of Modern Culture at the Library's John W. Kluge Center.
- - Min Zin is a Burmese journalist and democracy activist.
- - Ramon Humberto Colas is the founder of the Independent Libraries Movement in Cuba.
- - Ales Mihalevic is the vice chairman of the Belarusian Popular Front.
- - Reybia Kadeer is a democracy activist and Uyghur rights advocate in East Turkistan and Xinjiang, China.
- - Kim Seung Min is the founder of Free North Korea Radio in North Korea.
- - Ali Afshari is a democracy activist in Iran.
- - Manouchehr Mohammadi is a democracy activist in Iran.
- - Paula Dobriansky is the Under Secretary of State for Global Affairs and Democracy.
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: http://www.loc.gov/loc/kluge/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 50 minutes, 43 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vaclav Havel: Dissidents and Freedom. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4028/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Vaclav Havel: Dissidents and Freedom. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4028/.
MLA citation style:
Vaclav Havel: Dissidents and Freedom. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4028/>.