Film, Video Stephen H. Grant Discusses His Book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal"
About this Item
- Stephen H. Grant Discusses His Book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal"
- Capt. Peter Strickland owes much to author Stephen H. Grant. His diplomatic career as the first United States consul in Senegal might still be unknown if it wasn't for a chance successful bid on eBay. The item, an envelope bearing a blue three-cent stamp of President James Garfield and addressed to "Capt. Peter Strickland, U.S. Consul, Goree, West Africa," marked the genesis of Grant's biography on the Foreign Service officer. Grant discussed his book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal" in a program sponsored by the Center for the Book. The biography recounts how Connecticut native Peter Strickland (1837-1921) strove to survive and prosper from 1864 to 1905 in the midst of a strong French colonial presence in Senegal, first as a captain of merchant ships in the trans-Atlantic trade and then as U.S. consul in Senegal, the first in French West Africa. In dispatches to the State Department, Strickland did his best to educate the American diplomatic and business communities about the potential for trade with Africa. He carried out his official duties without a salary but was allowed to maintain a private export-import business and keep the consular fees charged to the captains of American ships calling at Senegalese ports. His major task was to monitor and facilitate American shipping abroad and, in accordance with new legislation of the period, to look out for the welfare of American seamen.
- Event Date
- March 22, 2007
- - This recording is not available.
- - Stephen Grant published three books during the 25 years he served as a Foreign Service officer with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in El Salvador, Indonesia, Egypt, Guinea and Ivory Coast. They are "Postales Salvadorenas del Ayer/Early Salvadoran Postcards," "Former Points of View: Postcards and Literary Passages from Pre-Independence Indonesia" and "Images de Guinee." He is a senior fellow at the ADST in Arlington, Va., where he assists retired diplomats in preparing their manuscripts for publication.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.loc.gov/loc/cfbook/
- Running Time
- 56 minutes, 13 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Stephen H. Grant Discusses His Book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal". 2007. Online Text. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4037/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Stephen H. Grant Discusses His Book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal". [Online Text] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4037/.
MLA citation style:
Stephen H. Grant Discusses His Book "Peter Strickland: New London Shipmaster, Boston Merchant, First Consul to Senegal". 2007. Online Text. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4037/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoTour of Leopold Sedar Senghor Exhibit in African and Middle Eastern Division Reading Room
- Contributor: Grant, Stephen
- Date: 2006-11-07
Film, VideoAmerican Journalism
- Contributor: Campbell, W. Joseph
- Date: 2006-10-04
Film, VideoDavid Baldacci discusses his book "The Collectors"
- Contributor: Baldacci, David
- Date: 2006-10-17
Film, VideoWoodrow Wilson's Right Hand: The Life of Colonel Edward M. House
- Contributor: Hodgson, Godfrey
- Date: 2006-10-31
Film, VideoWomen Who Dare
- Contributor: Keating, Anjelina Michelle - Hess, Aimee - Sinclair, Evelyn - Ruth, Janice E. - Osborne, Linda Barrett - Reyburn, Susan - Krowl, Michelle A.
- Date: 2006-11-16