Film, Video The Sama Ensemble
About this Item
- The Sama Ensemble
- The Sama Ensemble performed traditional Iranian music and dance as part of the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- April 25, 2007
- - The Sama Ensemble, founded by Ali Analouei, was formed in 1998 from students of the Center for Classical Persian Music (CPCM). Their name references the best known of the ritual dances of the Sufis, characterized by whirling. The ensemble has performed under the auspices of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, the National Geographic Society, several universities and venues such as the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Since its founding, the ensemble has attracted professional performers, including Naser Khorasani, a renowned musician and Daf player, who joined Analouei as co-director of the Sama Ensemble in 2005.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 55 minutes 31 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Sama Ensemble. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4065/.
APA citation style:
(2007) The Sama Ensemble. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4065/.
MLA citation style:
The Sama Ensemble. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4065/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLatina Storyteller Oral History
- Contributor: Deedy, Carmen Agra - Campillo-Soto, Karla
- Date: 2016-04-07
Film, VideoEsma Redžepova & Folk Masters Play Romani (Gypsy) & Macedonian Music
- Contributor: The Folk Masters - Redžepova, Esma
- Date: 2016-04-20
Film, VideoSoumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak: Traditional Hindustani Music from Virginia
- Contributor: Nayak (Debu), Devapriya - Chakraverty, Soumya
- Date: 2016-05-06
Film, VideoNOKA: Basque Song & Music from California
- Contributor: Noka
- Date: 2016-07-06
Film, VideoThe Legendary Ingramettes: African American Gospel Music from Virginia
- Contributor: The Ingramettes
- Date: 2016-07-21