Film, Video North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection
About this Item
- North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection
- John Moulden, singer and author from Ulster, presented a lecture titled "North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection" as part of the Rediscover Northern Ireland Program at the Library of Congress co-sponsored by the American Folklife Center and The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure/Arts Council of Northern Ireland. Included in his lecture was discussion of the Sam Henry Collection, the largest collection of Irish songs ever to be published.
- Event Date
- May 02, 2007
- - John Moulden is one of Ireland's leading authorities on traditional song and also a well-regarded singer. A teacher by trade, he retired, in 1992, as principal of one of Northern Ireland's Integrated Primary Schools, which are designed to educate Roman Catholic and Protestant children together. Since then he has been working on songs full time--researching, writing, lecturing and publishing. He has recently received his Ph.D. from the NUI Galway and the dissertation topic was the cheap printing of songs in Ireland on ballad sheets and in eight-page songbooks. His articles and essays have appeared, among others, in Canadian Folk Music Journal, Sing Out!, Irish Folk Music Studies, Folk Song Research and Folk Music Journal. His publications include "Thousands are Sailing: A Brief Song History of Irish Emigration" (Portrush, 1994) and "Songs of Hugh McWilliams, Schoolmaster, 1831" (Portrush, 1992). His major work has been on the Sam Henry Collection, the largest collection of Irish songs ever to be published. He has lectured widely throughout Ireland, Britain and the United States. As both singer and scholar, his talks are characterized by his own performances and by his informed enthusiasm.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 59 minutes, 23 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4067/.
APA citation style:
(2007) North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4067/.
MLA citation style:
North American Influence on a North Ireland Song Collection. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4067/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAmerican Folklife Center Directors Roundtable: A Retrospective of 40 Years
- Contributor: Dewhurst, Kurt - Murphy, Cliff - Jabbour, Alan - Bulger, Peggy - Peterson, Betsy
- Date: 2016-05-17
Film, VideoRahim AlHaj Oral History
- Contributor: Sheehy, Daniel - Alhaj, Rahim
- Date: 2016-07-28
Film, VideoZulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History
- Contributor: Zulal Trio - Dinkjian, Ara
- Date: 2015-05-28
Film, VideoGabriel Muñoz Oral History
- Contributor: Muñoz, Gabriel - Sheehy, Dan
- Date: 2016-09-22
Film, VideoBurt Feintuch Oral History
- Contributor: Feintuch, Burt
- Date: 2017-06-06