Film, Video Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa
About this Item
- Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa
- Nokuthula Mazibuko presents "Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa" in a program sponsored by the African and Middle Eastern Division and the Embassy of South Africa. During her presentation, Mazibuko shows a segment from her documentary film, "The Spirit of No Surrender," which looks back on the 1976 youth uprisings in South Africa, focusing on the role that teachers played in firing the minds of students. She reads from her book, "Spring Offensive," a biography of two friends in Umkhonto We Sizwe, the MK Underground. Mazibuko stresses the importance of biographies and the continued need for narratives about the struggle for freedom and about the lives of ordinary South Africans.
- Event Date
- February 26, 2007
- - Nokuthula Mazibuko is a South African writer, film director and teacher.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle East Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 40 minutes 1 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4081/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4081/.
MLA citation style:
Life Stories and Memory Making in South Africa. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4081/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Sufi Ritual in the New Theater
- Contributor: Mahdi, Ali
- Date: 2013-06-19
Film, VideoEngaging Africans in Policy Dialogue: The Southern Voices Network
- Contributor: McDonald, Steve
- Date: 2013-07-23
Film, VideoMarefa: The On-Line Arabic Encyclopedia
- Contributor: Shafei, Nayel
- Date: 2013-04-16
Film, VideoUnderstanding Egyptian Cuisine & Culture
- Contributor: Riolo, Amy
- Date: 2013-09-04
Film, VideoPoetry Reading by Merrill Leffler
- Contributor: Leffler, Merrill
- Date: 2013-09-24