Film, Video Book Launch of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges"
About this Item
- Book Launch of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges"
- The Library of Congress and W.W. Norton & Company celebrated the publication of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges" with a special program. "Lighthouses" by Sara E. Wermiel and "Bridges" by Richard L. Cleary are the fourth and fifth volumes in the Norton/Library of Congress Visual Sourcebooks in Architecture Design and Engineering series. They join "Barns" by John Vlach, "Canals" by Robert Kapsch and "Theaters" by Craig Morrison. "Lighthouses" conveys the romance and beauty of these iconic navigational aids while explaining their development and structure. The book covers lighthouses from all parts of the United States from the late 18th century to the 1940s, when control of the lighthouses was transferred to the Coast Guard and after which few new ones were built. Images of lighthouses from coast to coast provide examples of striking design and setting as well as celebrating technological achievement and the work of important engineers. "Bridges" surveys these ubiquitous structures, from familiar monuments to modest designs. It categorizes American bridges from coast to coast in terms of four fundamental structural types (beam, arch, truss and suspension) as well as movable bridges (swing, lift and bascule). The volume includes "A Call for Preservation" of the engineering heritage of the American bridge, written by Eric DeLony, former chief of the Historic American Engineering Record at the National Park Service. The May 9th program features illustrated presentations by the authors, book signings and a reception. The event is made possible by the Library's Center for Architecture, Design and Engineering, Publishing Office and Science, Technology and Business Division in cooperation with W.W. Norton, the Latrobe Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians and the National Capital Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Event Date
- May 09, 2007
- Related Resources
- Prints and Photographs Division: http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/
- Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 1 minutes, 10 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Book Launch of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges". 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4085/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Book Launch of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges". [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4085/.
MLA citation style:
Book Launch of "Lighthouses" and "Bridges". 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4085/>.