Film, Video Camerata Ireland: Pre-Concert Discussion
About this Item
- Camerata Ireland: Pre-Concert Discussion
- Barry Douglas, pianists and founder of Camerata Ireland, engages in a pre-concert discussion with Phillip Hammond, Creative Director of Rediscover Northern Ireland.
- Event Date
- March 23, 2007
- - Barry Douglas won the Gold Medal at the 1986 Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition in Moscow - the only non-Russian since Van Cliburn to have won this prestigious award outright. He had previously won the Bronze Medal at the Van Cliburn Competition in Texas in 1985 and the top prize in the Santander Paloma O'Shea competition in Spain. Douglas has performed with every major international orchestra and collaborated with conductors such as Ashkenazy, Colin Davis, Jansons, Masur, Maazel, Previn, Rostropovich, Kurt Sanderling, Slatkin, Svetlanov, Tilson-Thomas and Temirkanov. With the great success of his orchestra Camerata Ireland, he increasingly devotes part of his time to conducting. He has directed cycles of the complete Beethoven Symphonies (in November 2002) and Mozart and Schubert Symphonies and Mozart Concertos in 2000 and 2001. Douglas received the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2002 New Year's Honours List for services to music. He also received a Fellowship of the Royal College of Music, where he is Prince Consort Professor of Piano and an Hon. Doctorate of Music from Queens University Belfast.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Performing Arts Reading Room: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Concerts from the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/concert/
- Running Time
- 30 minutes 40 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Camerata Ireland: Pre-Concert Discussion. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Camerata Ireland: Pre-Concert Discussion. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/.
MLA citation style:
Camerata Ireland: Pre-Concert Discussion. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLeonard Bernstein Centennial: Celebrating the Collection To celebrate the centennial of Leonard Bernstein, the Library held a special, day-long event; an immersive experience anchored by an extensive display of manuscripts, letters, playbills, photographs and memorabilia, sketches, casting notes...
- Contributor: Horowitz, Mark Eden
- Date: 2018-05-19
Film, VideoCelebrating the Collection #Declassified: Bernstein and Social Identity To celebrate the centennial of Leonard Bernstein, the Library held a special, day-long event; an immersive experience anchored by an extensive display of manuscripts, letters, playbills, photographs and memorabilia, sketches, casting notes,...
- Contributor: Brown, Nicholas Alexander
- Date: 2018-05-19
Film, VideoBernstein's America: Pre-Concert Conversation The Library's vast Leonard Bernstein Collection provides the world's best vantage point to contemplate the career of this extraordinary man: composer, conductor, pianist, educator, and humanitarian. In a pre-concert conversation, Mark Horowitz...
- Contributor: Horowitz, Mark Eden - Bernstein, Jamie - Barrett, Michael
- Date: 2018-05-18
Film, VideoConversation with Wynton Marsalis Kazem Abdullah leads a conversation with Jazz at Lincoln Center Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis. They discuss his work, "A Fiddler's Tale" and his collaboration and work with Stanley Crouch.
- Contributor: Marsalis, Wynton - Abdullah, Kazem
- Date: 2021-10-08
Film, VideoConversation with Ellen Taaffe Zwilich and Tai Murray Kazem Abdullah of the Library's Music Division leads a conversation with the venerable composer Ellen Taaffe Zwilich and the violin soloist and professor, Tai Murray. They discuss Zwilich's Romance for violin and...
- Contributor: Zwilich, Ellen Taaffe - Murray, Tai - Abdullah, Kazem
- Date: 2021-09-27