Film, Video Camerata Ireland
About this Item
- Camerata Ireland
- Camerata Ireland, with found and pianist Barry Douglas, performed works by Carter, Mozart and Beethoven as part of the Rediscover Northern Ireland Program cosponsored by the Library's Music Division and American Folklife Center along with the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure/Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
- Event Date
- March 23, 2007
- - Barry Douglas won the Gold Medal at the 1986 Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition in Moscow - the only non-Russian since Van Cliburn to have won this prestigious award outright. He had previously won the Bronze Medal at the Van Cliburn Competition in Texas in 1985 and the top prize in the Santander Paloma O'Shea competition in Spain. Douglas has performed with every major international orchestra and collaborated with conductors such as Ashkenazy, Colin Davis, Jansons, Masur, Maazel, Previn, Rostropovich, Kurt Sanderling, Slatkin, Svetlanov, Tilson-Thomas and Temirkanov. With the great success of his orchestra Camerata Ireland, he increasingly devotes part of his time to conducting. He has directed cycles of the complete Beethoven Symphonies (in November 2002) and Mozart and Schubert Symphonies and Mozart Concertos in 2000 and 2001. Douglas received the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2002 New Year's Honours List for services to music. He also received a Fellowship of the Royal College of Music, where he is Prince Consort Professor of Piano and an Hon. Doctorate of Music from Queens University Belfast.
- - Founded in 1999 by pianist Barry Douglas to bring together talented Irish musicians from all over the world, this chamber orchestra has garnered praise for "enthralling performances brim[ming] with musicality."
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Performing Arts Reading Room: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Concerts from the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/concert/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 34 minutes 29 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Camerata Ireland. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Camerata Ireland. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/.
MLA citation style:
Camerata Ireland. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4087/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOn Pointe: Composing for Dance at the Library of Congress
- Contributor: Sherber, Aaron - Smigel, Libby - Plylar, David H.
- Date: 2016-04-02
Film, VideoIsamu Noguchi's Dance Sets
- Contributor: Hart, Dakin
- Date: 2016-03-31
Film, VideoWagner's "Gleaming Sword": The Helen Traubel Collection
- Contributor: Wintle, James
- Date: 2016-05-03
Film, VideoProkofiev, the Sonata, and the Fingers of Independence
- Contributor: Plylar, David Henning
- Date: 2016-05-03
Film, VideoRomantic Riches in the Heineman Foundation Collection
- Contributor: Plylar, David
- Date: 2016-02-23