Film, Video La Quinceanera: A Coming of Age Ritual in Latino Communities
About this Item
- La Quinceanera: A Coming of Age Ritual in Latino Communities
- Norma Cantu, professor of English at the University of Texas at San Antonio, presented this talk as part of the Benjamin Botkin Lecture Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center. The Quinceanera, the traditional coming-of-age celebration for Latinas, is an an elegant party on the girl's 15th birthday, highlighting God, family, friends, music, food and dance. Many questions emerge as one looks at this fascinating and complex rite of passage: what are its essential elements? What are its origins in indigenous Mexican tradition and in European tradition? What are the components that define it as a coming of age ritual? How does the performance of the feminine play out in the celebration? How do "border theory" and "mestizaje theory" apply to this particular event? In answering these and the more critical question--why would a family spend thousands of dollars to celebrate a birthday?--we can gain insight into the cultural practices of Latino communities.
- Event Date
- November 08, 2006
- - Norma E. Cantu currently serves as professor of English at the University of Texas at San Antonio. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She is the editor of a book series, "Rio Grande/Rio Bravo: Borderlands Culture and Tradition," at Texas A&M University Press and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. Author of the award-winning "Canicula Snapshots of a Girlhood en la Frontera," and co-editor of "Chicana Traditions: Continuity and Change," she has just finished a novel, "Cabanuelas" and is currently working on another novel tentatively titled "Champu," or "Hair Matters," and an ethnography of the Matachines de la Santa Cruz, a religious dance drama from Laredo, Texas.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 36 minutes, 18 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
La Quinceanera: A Coming of Age Ritual in Latino Communities. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4098/.
APA citation style:
(2006) La Quinceanera: A Coming of Age Ritual in Latino Communities. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4098/.
MLA citation style:
La Quinceanera: A Coming of Age Ritual in Latino Communities. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4098/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOne Place: Paul Kwilecki & Four Decades of Photographs from Decatur County, Georgia
- Contributor: Rankin, Tom
- Date: 2013-10-30
Film, VideoThe Beautiful Music All Around Us: Field Recordings & the American Experience
- Contributor: Wade, Stephen
- Date: 2013-03-27
Film, VideoCollecting Jewish Cultural Treasures in a Post-WWII New York Lobby
- Contributor: Isaacs, Miriam
- Date: 2013-11-13
Film, VideoTraditional Music of Coastal Louisiana: 1934 Lomax Recordings
- Contributor: Caffery, Joshua
- Date: 2013-12-11
Film, VideoThe Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies
- Contributor: Yocom, Margaret
- Date: 2013-02-20