Film, Video Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency
About this Item
- Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency
- During the 19th century, conflict between Native Americans and American settlers was at an all-time high. Western expansion was more than just cowboys and gun fights at the O.K. Corral--it was a movement marked by battles and bloodshed between immigrants coming to stake a claim and a people who had already done so. Novelist, screenwriter and activist Michael Blake discussed his new book, "Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency." Sponsored by the Center for the Book and Friends of Libraries U.S.A., one of the center's national reading promotion partners, the event was held in conjunction with the American Library Association's annual conference. In addition to presenting his new book, Blake discussed his previous research about Native Americans, his novel "Dances With Wolves" (1988) and the subsequent award-winning film of the same name.
- Event Date
- June 25, 2007
- - Michael Blake has received widespread recognition for his writing, his work on behalf of minorities and animal protection and his promotion of patriotism. His honors include the Eleanor Roosevelt Human Rights Award, the Animal Protection Institute's Humanitarian of the Year, the U.S. Air Force's Americanism Award and the American Library Association's Library Hero Award. In 1990, he won an Academy Award for the film adaptation of his novel "Dances With Wolves."
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://www.loc.gov/cfbook
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 9 minutes, 37 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4101/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4101/.
MLA citation style:
Indian Yell: The Heart of an American Insurgency. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4101/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoSoul of a People
- Contributor: Taylor, David A.
- Date: 2009-04-28
Film, VideoComedy Icon Carl Reiner
- Contributor: Reiner, Carl
- Date: 2009-10-26
Film, VideoAmy Tan: Writing in the Schools Program
- Contributor: Tan, Amy
- Date: 2009-09-21
Film, VideoFunny Business: Conversations with Writers of Comedy
- Contributor: Scieszka, Jon - Marcus, Leonard
- Date: 2009-10-20
Film, VideoStripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee
- Contributor: Frankel, Noralee
- Date: 2009-11-17