Film, Video 175th Anniversary Gala of the Law Library of Congress
About this Item
- 175th Anniversary Gala of the Law Library of Congress
- On July 14, 2007, The Law Library of Congress celebrated its 175th Anniversary Gala Dinner in the Great Hall of the Library of Congress' Thomas Jefferson Building. More than 125 distinguished guests in the political, legal and educational world were present to pay tribute to the institution. Speaking that evening were Jeffrey Toobin, chair of the 175th Anniversary honorary committee; Rubens Medina, Law Librarian of Congress; and Ted Poe, United States congressman from Texas.
- Event Date
- July 14, 2007
- - Jeffrey Toobin, a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1993, is also the senior legal analyst for CNN, which he joined in 2002 after six years with ABC News. An author of a number of books, his most recent, "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court," was published in the fall of 2007. Toobin has served as an assistant United States attorney and as associate counsel in the Office of Independent Counsel Lawrence E. Walsh. Toobin received his bachelor's degree from Harvard College and graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
- - Rubens Medina is the 21st Law Librarian of Congress, having been appointed to the position in 1994 after serving as chief of the Hispanic Law Division since 1971. He holds a law degree from the National University of Asuncion, Paraguay, and a doctorate in law and sociology from the University of Wisconsin. Medina also serves as chair of the executive council of the Global Legal Information Network (GLIN), an international cooperative information system developed and maintained by the Law Library.
- - U.S. Congressman Ted Poe is in his second term as the United States representative for southeast Texas' 2nd congressional district. After becoming one of the youngest judges in the state of Texas in 1981, he continued to serve as a Houston felony court judge for 22 years. Judge Poe's public punishment approach has been showcased on 60 Minutes, 20/20, Dateline and international newscasts. He appears regularly as a political and legal analyst on CNN, FOX News Channel, MSNBC and local broadcasts. Congressman Poe, a former university instructor, serves on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs (including the terrorism subcommittee) and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
- Related Resources
- Law Library of Congress: http://www.loc.gov/law/
- THOMAS: http://thomas.loc.gov/
- Running Time
- 48 minutes, 38 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
175th Anniversary Gala of the Law Library of Congress. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4117/.
APA citation style:
(2007) 175th Anniversary Gala of the Law Library of Congress. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4117/.
MLA citation style:
175th Anniversary Gala of the Law Library of Congress. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4117/>.