Film, Video Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community
About this Item
- Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community
- Laura Cohen Apelbaum and Wendy Turman of the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington spoke about the history of the Jewish community in Washington, D.C. The talk also included images from the new book, "Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community." The program was sponsored by the Library's African and Middle Eastern Division. The collections of the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington, used to illustrate the book, trace the history of the Jewish community from the mid-19th century through the present day. The personal and family papers, organizational and business records, congregational and synagogue archives, historical photographs, oral histories, and ritual objects document the unique local, national, and international life of American Jews in and around Washington, D.C.
- Event Date
- October 18, 2007
- - Wendy Turman is an archivist with the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington.
- - Laura Cohen Appelbaum is the executive director of the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 47 minutes 47 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4212/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4212/.
MLA citation style:
Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4212/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoJewish Life in Mr. Lincoln's City
- Contributor: Turman, Wendy - Cohen Apelbaum, Laura
- Date: 2009-05-19
Film, VideoThe Sufi Ritual in the New Theater
- Contributor: Mahdi, Ali
- Date: 2013-06-19
Film, VideoEngaging Africans in Policy Dialogue: The Southern Voices Network
- Contributor: McDonald, Steve
- Date: 2013-07-23
Film, VideoMarefa: The On-Line Arabic Encyclopedia
- Contributor: Shafei, Nayel
- Date: 2013-04-16
Film, VideoUnderstanding Egyptian Cuisine & Culture
- Contributor: Riolo, Amy
- Date: 2013-09-04