Film, Video Native American Heritage Month Keynote Address by Rep. Tom Cole
About this Item
- Native American Heritage Month Keynote Address by Rep. Tom Cole
- Five years to the day after being elected to represent Oklahoma's 4th congressional district, Rep. Tom Cole delivered the keynote address for the Library's 2007 celebration of Native American Heritage Month.
- Event Date
- November 06, 2007
- - Rep. Tom Cole, who is a fifth-generation Oklahoman and a member of the Chickasaw Nation, is the only Native American currently serving in the U.S. Congress. He was inducted into the Chickasaw Hall of Fame in 2004. Cole has served Oklahoma as a district director for former congressman Mickey Edwards, as a member of the Oklahoma State Senate and as Oklahoma's secretary of state. In this capacity he served as former Governor Frank Keating's chief legislative strategist and liaison to the state's federal delegation. Keating tapped Cole to lead Oklahoma's successful effort to secure federal funds to assist in the rebuilding of Oklahoma City in the wake of the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995. Early in his congressional tenure, he was named one of "Five Freshmen to Watch" by Roll Call. As a member of the House, Cole has been an advocate for a strong national defense, a defender of the interests of small businesses and taxpayers, a proponent of education at all levels and a leader on issues dealing with Native Americans and tribal governments. Cole is a member of the House Armed Services Committee, to which he was appointed in 2002. He serves on the Natural Resources Committee and as House Deputy Whip. He also chairs the National Republican Congressional Committee. Cole is a founding partner and past president of CHS & Associates, a nationally recognized consulting and survey research firm based in Oklahoma City. A former college instructor in history and politics, Cole holds a bachelor's degree from Grinnell College, a master's degree from Yale University and a Ph.D. from the University of Oklahoma. Cole has been a Thomas Watson Fellow and a Fulbright Fellow at the University of London. He currently serves on the national board of the Fulbright Association and on the board of the Aspen Institute.
- Related Resources
- Native American Heritage Month Web Portal: http://www.loc.gov/topics/nativeamericans/
- Running Time
- 54 minutes, 36 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Native American Heritage Month Keynote Address by Rep. Tom Cole. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4216/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Native American Heritage Month Keynote Address by Rep. Tom Cole. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4216/.
MLA citation style:
Native American Heritage Month Keynote Address by Rep. Tom Cole. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4216/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFamily Matters: Testing Paternity in the 20th Century
- Contributor: Milanich, Nara
- Date: 2015-03-17
Film, VideoOperation Pedro Pan, 1960-1962
- Contributor: Costales, René - Gómez, Susana - Echazabál, Eloisa - Canstaño, Jay
- Date: 2015-05-21
Film, VideoHow to Apply for a Job at the Library of Congress
- Contributor: Baldwin, Jewel
- Date: 2015-05-20
Film, VideoRep. Juanita Millender-McDonald Delivers Keynote Address for African American History Month
- Contributor: Millender-McDonald, Rep. Juanita
- Date: 2007-02-08
Film, VideoRep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz Delivers Keynote Address for Women's History Month
- Contributor: Wasserman Schultz, Debbie
- Date: 2007-03-14