Film, Video Aubrey Ghent and Friends
About this Item
- Aubrey Ghent and Friends
- Aubrey Ghent with friends performed sacred lap steel guitar for the Library's annual Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- October 17, 2007
- - Aubrey Ghent has been playing guitar and sacred lap steel for over 38 years. The steel guitar was first introduced to the House of God Church by Aubrey's uncle, Willie Eason, during the 1940s. Willie taught Aubrey's father, Henry Nelson, who played for more than 50 years in the church and around the United States. Aubrey was greatly influenced by his uncle and father. He began learning the instrument at age six and playing for church services at age nine. He has continued his great family legacy of the lap steel style. Ghent recorded on the Arhoolie roots label for six years and has several selections on each of the label's Sacred Steel volumes.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 5 minutes 30 seconds
- Online Format
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Aubrey Ghent and Friends. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4218/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Aubrey Ghent and Friends. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4218/.
MLA citation style:
Aubrey Ghent and Friends. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4218/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoDaniel Boucher & Friends: Traditional French-Canadian Fiddle Music from Connecticut Fiddler and singer Daniel Boucher is accompanied by guitarist Ray Pelletier, guitarist and fiddler George Wilson, and fiddler/stepdancer Glenn Bombardier of the Beaudoin family.
- Contributor: Boucher, Daniel
- Date: 2011-08-17
Film, VideoThe Not Too Bad Bluegrass Band The Not Too Bad Bluegrass Band performs at the Library of Congress.
- Contributor: Not Too Bad Bluegrass Band
- Date: 2010-10-13
Film, VideoR. Carlos Nakai: American Indian Flute Music from Arizona R. Carlos Nakai performs American Indian flute music in a noontime concert in the Library's "Homegrown" series.
- Contributor: Nakai, R. Carlos
- Date: 2010-11-17
Film, VideoOral History: Newpoli Italian Performing Group Stephen Winick interviews Carmen Marsico, Angela Rossi and Bjorn Wennas of Newpoli. Newpoli performs folk songs and dance music from southern Italy, mainly from the regions of Campania and Puglia.They integrate a...
- Contributor: Newpoli - Winick, Stephen
- Date: 2018-07-12
Film, VideoAl. Spendiaryan Qanon Ensemble: Traditional Armenian Qanon Music Al. Spendiaryan Qanon Ensemble performs music on the qanon, a string instrument played in much of the Middle East, Maghreb, West Africa, Central Asia, and southeastern regions of Europe. This concert is...
- Contributor: Al. Spendiaryan Qanon Ensemble
- Date: 2018-06-26