Film, Video Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah
About this Item
- Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah
- Registrants attending the 32nd annual conference of the Southern Jewish Historical Society came to the Library as guests of the Hebraic Section, African and Middle Eastern Division, to learn about Judaic treasures in the Library's collections. Peggy Pearlstein, head of the Hebraic Section, gave an overview of Judaica at the Library and spoke about the historic significance of documents on display from the Hebraic Section and the Manuscript Division that related to Southern Jewry. Dianne Ashton, professor of religion and director of the American Studies Program at Rowan University, Glassboro, N.J. spoke on the topic, "Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah." The subject forms part of a larger work on a history of Hanukkah observances in the United States.
- Event Date
- November 02, 2007
- - Dianne Ashton is professor of religion and director of the American Studies Program at Rowan University, Glassboro, N.J.
- - Peggy Pearlstein is head of the Hebraic Section in the African and Middle Eastern Division of the Library of Congress.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 45 minutes 25 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4222/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4222/.
MLA citation style:
Quick to the Party: Southern Jews and the Americanization of Hanukkah. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4222/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAnn Brener on Samuel's Daughter: A Love Story from Third-Century Parthia
- Contributor: Pearlstein, Peggy - Brener, Ann - Avdoyan, Levon - Salhi, Muhannad - Dinavari, Hirad
- Date: 2010-06-09
Film, VideoJewish American Heritage Month Opening Ceremony
- Contributor: Daroff, William - Pearlstein, Peggy - Schwartz, Abby - Wasserman Schultz, Rep. Debbie - Mariaschin, Daniel S.
- Date: 2010-05-05
Film, VideoThe Sufi Ritual in the New Theater
- Contributor: Mahdi, Ali
- Date: 2013-06-19
Film, VideoEngaging Africans in Policy Dialogue: The Southern Voices Network
- Contributor: McDonald, Steve
- Date: 2013-07-23
Film, VideoMarefa: The On-Line Arabic Encyclopedia
- Contributor: Shafei, Nayel
- Date: 2013-04-16