Film, Video Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T.E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict
About this Item
- Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T.E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict
- The Arab-Israeli conflict is often said to be biblical in its origins, with the children of Abraham contesting an ancient and eternal rivalry. But it can be argued that much of the conflict emerged less than a century ago in the turmoil of World War I. Historian and novelist Ronald Florence puts forth this argument in his new book, "Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T. E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn, and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict." Florence discussed his book in a program sponsored jointly by the Hebraic Section of the African and Middle Eastern Division and the Hebrew Language Table. In "Lawrence and Aaronsohn," Florence shows how the Great Powers secretly plotted the future of the Middle East while a second lieutenant from Oxfordshire (Lawrence) and a Jewish agronomist from Palestine (Aaronsohn) imagined new nations--Arab and Jewish--rising from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire. Lawrence, who would later become the iconic Lawrence of Arabia, garnered Arab support for British war strategies to advance the dreams of an Arab state. Aaron Aaronsohn gave up a distinguished career in science to establish a secret spy network in wartime Palestine, providing the intelligence that enabled the British victory over the Turks. In this gripping narrative history, Florence resurrects the exploits and sacrifices of an unsung Zionist hero, deconstructs the legend of Lawrence of Arabia and provides new perspectives on the origins of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
- Event Date
- December 03, 2007
- - Ronald Florence is the author of eight books, including "The Gypsy Man," "The Perfect Machine" and "Blood Libel." Educated at the University of California at Berkeley and at Harvard University, where he received a Ph.D. in European history, Florence has traveled extensively throughout Europe and the Middle East to research his books. He has taught at Harvard, Sarah Lawrence College and the State University of New York at Purchase.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 40 minutes 6 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T.E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict. 2007. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4246/.
APA citation style:
(2007) Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T.E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4246/.
MLA citation style:
Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T.E. Lawrence, Aaronsohn and the Seeds of the Arab-Israel Conflict. 2007. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4246/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoEmissary of the Doomed: Bargaining for Lives
- Contributor: Florence, Ronald
- Date: 2010-03-08
Film, VideoThe Sufi Ritual in the New Theater
- Contributor: Mahdi, Ali
- Date: 2013-06-19
Film, VideoEngaging Africans in Policy Dialogue: The Southern Voices Network
- Contributor: McDonald, Steve
- Date: 2013-07-23
Film, VideoMarefa: The On-Line Arabic Encyclopedia
- Contributor: Shafei, Nayel
- Date: 2013-04-16
Film, VideoUnderstanding Egyptian Cuisine & Culture
- Contributor: Riolo, Amy
- Date: 2013-09-04